Meplat trimming pf Nosler 180 Grn Partitions

Lenny Foffa

Hi Guys, I really need some direction. I am about to make an Elk Load for my 300 Weatherby Mag. A 1970s Rifle, 26-inch, 10 Twist , Mag na ported. I purchased some Nosler 180 Grn. partitions Blems. I have never loaded partitions in any of my other rifles before, and I have noticed that very tip of each bullet has a tiny rounded protrusion of lead, or something. I think I need to purchase Meplat trimmer to correct this tiny round protrusion?? If that is correct , can anyone suggest the trimmer I should purchase. ??? Thanks for any help Guys, lenny

Hi Guys, I really need some direction. I am about to make an Elk Load for my 300 Weatherby Mag. A 1970s Rifle, 26-inch, 10 Twist , Mag na ported. I purchased some Nosler 180 Grn. partitions Blems. I have never loaded partitions in any of my other rifles before, and I have noticed that very tip of each bullet has a tiny rounded protrusion of lead, or something. I think I need to purchase Meplat trimmer to correct this tiny round protrusion?? If that is correct , can anyone suggest the trimmer I should purchase. ??? Thanks for any help Guys, lenny
How about sharing some pictures? Meplat trimming is normally for open-tipped design bullets. "I" would leave it as-is or use a fine steel wool pad to clean it up a bit if it bothers you that much. Good luck!

1661515893985.png

THANK YOU SO MUCH BUDDY!!!! Yes, I will take some pictures and send, but that Sinclair trimmer you showed may just work fine.

The last time I checked, that's how they are made. See Feenix's second picture.
I think you're worrying about nothing, and may cause more problems.
Just load them and shoot.

I guess we should ask why you want to trim off the lead tip. They are designed to work that way. What's you intended range to use them?

Hi Guys, here are two of them. They all look like this. This tiny out of round protrusion of Lead at the very tip. Since I only have been shooting Ballistic Tips and Accubond Long Range bullets, this caught me by surprise. Just looks sloppy . I was hoping not to trim off the tip, but simply to bring it more to a uniform point. I thought the meplat trimmer might be useful, I see now it would not. These bullets will be used in my .300 Weatherby Mag, at 3000 FPS, for an east coast Elk Hunt. Penn or Kentucky. The range will likely not exceed 400 yards. Thank You all for the responses, really helpful . Lenny

Attachments

• IMG_3476Nosler 180 Grn Partitions.jpg
    IMG_3476Nosler 180 Grn Partitions.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Yes, these will be used for practice, and I will keep 10 separates, just in case there are non-available when it's time to hunt! I weighed and about half of them actually weigh 180 Grns , some 179.7 to 179.9. A few 180. 2 grns . Not Really terrible. I check the Nosler sight almost every morning. Thank Buddy

You stated they were blems or seconds right?
But you want to use them on a special elk??
Why not use them for practice and get a box of new ones for the trophy...
Yes, these will be used for practice, and I will keep 10 separates, just in case there are non-available when it's time to hunt! I weighed and about half of them actually weigh 180 Grns , some 179.7 to 179.9. A few 180. 2 grns . Not Really terrible. I check the Nosler sight almost every morning. Thank Buddy
I have some blems/seconds, and I cannot tell the difference.

I cannot tell from the picture if it is coated.

Hi Guys, here are two of them. They all look like this. This tiny out of round protrusion of Lead at the very tip. Since I only have been shooting Ballistic Tips and Accubond Long Range bullets, this caught me by surprise. Just looks sloppy . I was hoping not to trim off the tip, but simply to bring it more to a uniform point. I thought the meplat trimmer might be useful, I see now it would not. These bullets will be used in my .300 Weatherby Mag, at 3000 FPS, for an east coast Elk Hunt. Penn or Kentucky. The range will likely not exceed 400 yards. Thank You all for the responses, really helpful . Lenny
Are you sure those are Partitions? Most of mine have kinda a boat tail base. Basically the base is kinda crimped in to lock in the core.