Meopta S2 HD, Cabelas Euro HD, NightForce Spotter questions

LeddSlinger

In the near future I plan on purchasing a new high end spotter. The reviews on the Meopta Meostar S2 HD scope are off the charts. Nearly all professional reviews preferred all aspects of viewing with the Meopta over the renowned Zeiss 85T FL and the Swarovski 80 HD. So I think that is the spotter I will go with.

I know for a fact that the Cabelas Euro HD spotting scope is the same exact scope wearing Cabelas clothing. I've read that the only difference is where you send the scope for warranty coverage. The Cabelas Euro you send to Cabelas and the actual Meopta you send to MeoptaUSA.

I'm pretty dang sure the new NightForce is also the Meopta Meostar S2 HD in NF clothing... Not 100% on that, but the similarities are very obvious.

So here's my questions...
If the new NightForce scope is the Meopta, does NF put their own glass in it or just change the appearance?
And...
Out of the three spottng scope versions of the Meopta mentioned, (MeoptaUSA, Cabelas Euro, and NightForce) who would provide me with the best warranty coverage?

I have no experience with warranties from any of the companies mentioned. But I do have a Cabelas store in town so that may be a deciding factor.

Thank you all very much for any help on this subject. :)

Yes, all three scopes are exactly the same inside. I have one and it's **** good for the price.

I really like the Meopix iPhone attachment for quickly digiscoping targets at the range. Using an iPhone 5S, the images are the best you'll get with a smart phone. I have a digital photo of a metal gong at 1,000 yds that clearly shows bullet impacts.

The Meopta scope body is a copy of the Swaro ATS/ATM design, but a good copy. Swaro still has better eyepieces and much better digiscoping attachments.

Unless you have points with Cabelas, I would recommend that you buy the scope from a Meopta dealer. Both Cabelas and Nightforce are going to send the scope to Meopta for repair. That just adds time to the repair. Dealing with Meopta directly would be faster. Meopta has a factory in NY. They will turn around repairs quickly. Their warranty is solid.

Thank you for that detailed reply.

I stopped by Cabelas today and looked through the Euro HD spotter. Simply AMAZING! Absolutely stunning optics all the way to 70x.

The Cabelas rep told me that they offer a Lifetime No Fault warranty with the scope. Just bring it in to the local Cabelas store and they'll most likely give me a new one. That would be especially nice if something happened in the middle of hunting season.

I also called NightForce today. The customer service rep hesitantly admitted that it was the same scope in NF clothing. When I asked why their version of the Meopta cost $200 more on average all he could muster for an explanation was "it has to meet NightForce standards"
I said "welI suppose you make good stuff so then if the standards are so strict, what type of warranty comes with the scope?" the rep replied "it's a 20 year warranty". I then asked "is it a No Fault warranty?" and the rep quickly responded, "absolutely not, just manufacturing defects, we don't do that kind of warranty."

So basically the NightForce scope is a joke. It was made by someone else and they even chopped up the warranty on it. At least Cabelas fully admits right up front that it is a Meopta S2 HD scope, but they are also good enough to give it an even better warranty. I think I'll buy from Cabelas since I have one of their outposts right in town.

Thanks again for the help Bruce :)

they are all the same spotter. The nightforce just has some knurling on the edges that matches their other products. the meopta S2 is the FINEST spotting scope I have ever looked through. to my eyes its better than all the big 3. The new high dollar swaro stx/atx isn't as good IMO

My experience with Cabela's is that their customer service is exceptional. I spend a fair amount of money there each year, enough to get the hard cover catalogues, so I likely get the benefit of the doubt, but nevertheless my experiences have been exceptional.

One example is proactively offering to overnight me a new pair of waders during duck season and telling me to send the old waders (leaking prematurely) in when it is convenient. No charge to me for any of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.