Meindle boot break in -need some help-

heatseekins

It's been over 2 weeks and these things are still pinching my toes every time I take a step. The pinch is right on top of my toes at the first lace eyelet. It's on both boots and I can't seem to break them in. I've never had such a hard time with boots before. I've tried getting them wet (twice) and walking them dry, but its about 90+ degrees, so they dry out fairly fast and it didn't make any difference. On Friday I leave for Homer AK to visit, and then go moose hunting for 2 weeks. I go through about 2 pairs of boots a year while hunting, so my old boots are trashed. These have got to work by Friday! If you have any advice on how to break these things in besides getting a different pair of boots (no time) please share it with me!

Glen

Try this:

Get them wet and lather them up with saddle soap. Lay down as much and the leather can hold. Let them dry. Do this a couple of times, you probably won't have to wear them while you are doing this since the pivot points are already there from you walking in them already. Once that leather is softened (and more flexible), then it shouldn't pinch you.

Hopefully this will help you out.

If they are tight in the toe area, you might do better to go to a good shoe repairman. He can really stretch the toe box area better than you can and you are short on time. If the box area is really small for your feet, all the tricks in the world won't help much because you need a big stretch for fit. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Heatseekins
Re-lace the boots so that there is no lace running through first eyelets (ie where the boots are bothering you (and maybe even second too)). With these parts now untightened, you may get the space you need.....I had the same problem with a pair of meindls, neither boot is now laced through the 'big toe knuckle' eyelet.
Hope this helps, if not, get some different boots PDQ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In town we don't have any stores that carry anything decent besides Danners and I've never been able to get Danners that fit me good and didn't leave blisters. I looked for something in Spokane a couple months ago, but all I could find were either high top hiking shoes, 600 gram insulated boots and more Danners!

I went to the boot guy in town and asked him. He said the fit on these boots are as good as it gets. This is my third pair from cabelas I tried one size smaller- too small. And one size larger and it was a bit sloppy. He is the one that suggested getting them wet and walking around. It helped the left boot, but the right still pinches.
Maybe I didn't get them wet enough?
What is the correct way to get a boot wet without destroying the Gortex? What would you guys think about soaking them in hot water for an hour then hiking in the hills instead of just walking around? Maybe salty water so it absorbs more into the leather?

Being a taxidermist I do have some special tanning chemicals that I use to soften up tough tanned hides so they give better stretch (mainly African), but I want to reserve that for my last resort when I have nothing to loose. Witch will be Thursday

Brown dog, I tried re lacing them like you suggested, but I still have the same problem…….

Have you guys noticed that when you find a boot that fits perfect and doesn't leak they quit making them!!!!!! I hate new boots

Glen

Take the boots, and fill them up with water in the shower, and leave them there overnight full of water, then the next mourning just put your feet in them (without pouring the water out) and walk.

Now a better way is to get some neets foot oil(leather softner) and take rough sand paper and scouf the out side of the boots pretty good and soak the boots in a bucket of the softner overnight, and repeat. After that they'll be soft. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've rather assumed from the posts that the boots have goretex inners...this will stop the 'fill with water' idea working...a 2hr walk in a stream/marsh would achieve the required effect.

Neatsfoot was certainly the 'application' of choice at work for 'problem boots' ...give it a try ...but these are Meindls; I suspect these boots simply don't match your foot shape.

If you're stuck with them, try different thickness footbeds...particularly thinner ...or if you're wearing 2 pairs of socks try them with just one pair. -or thinner socks etc

Good Luck!

The gor-tex will "wick" away the water on the inside to the outside(leather). Also put them in a bucket filled with water. Your best bet is the neets foot oil, if that doesnt work, the boots just dont fit.

Temperatures in Homer are running in the 50s and 60s during the day and 30s and 40s at night. Unless you are going high, frostbite is not an issue

Old Indian trick that goes with the thinner insole trick and the skip the bottom eyelet trick
Get a couple of pairs of of very thin nylon dress sox. In Cabelas they will be called "boot liners" but a Kmart they are called dress sox. Do not get cotton unless you have a preexisting foot problem like atheltes foot which you need to treat right now. Coolmax or ultra max is better than nylon but you probably can't find it in a small town. Polypropelene will also do. just avoid wool and cotton. The nylon sock will not absorb and retain moisture.

The thin nylon will give your foot more room and it is "slick " so you do not get friction blisters. If there is room use two pairs. Take your old trashed boots and a pair of jogging/ trail running or other light weigth quick drying atheletic shoe. Get some foot powder and several different types of bandaids and some duct tape for if and when the blisters do come. What? You have never used duct tape as first aid for blisters? My goodness. What a pilgrim you are. It sticks better than bandaids if water is an issue! (canoeist trick) First thing ever night take care of your feet. Carry a change of socks with you during the day and air your feet when you can (do this down wind or you will scare off all of the game).

When you are 22 miles into a marathon and you start to feel squishing inside your shoe you don't have to look down to know it is your own blood filling up the shoe. You just grit your teeth and run the last 4 and a quarter miles. Bad shoes are no fun anytime anywhwere.

Good luck with your feet and your moose

P.S. Did not mean to call Lewiston a small town. you can probably find cool max sox in a place that size at any store that sell running shoes like foot locker or Atheletes Feet. But I still prefer Sears white nylon dress sox even if they are cheap for what you are talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
I looked for something in Spokane a couple months ago, but all I could find were either high top hiking shoes, 600 gram insulated boots and more Danners!

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you are in Spokane, stop by White's Boots and talk to them. I don't have a pair, but everything that I have heard about them is that it will be the last pair of boots that you will buy. I do believe that they will even custom make them to fit your feet.

i use to build boots along time ago.i will say this for general knowlege.if you are overweight much then it will be hard to find many boots that will be comfortable.some folks do better with a good boot built for them.i hear all the time my boots slip on my heel when new.they will sometimes until they know where to bend and are broke in.most folks buy boots too insulated for what they are doing.tall boots give more support.i would rather break my boots in way before a hunt or trek,take care of your feet and you will feel better all over.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.