Meateater Show serving rare bear meat

AZShooter

Just watched Steven Rinella's meateater 2 part show where he got a Dall sheep. It is one of the few hunting shows I enjoy in part due to the cooking and eating of meat soon after the kill.

A bit later another guy shot a black bear. I watched with horror as Steve served up a very rare black bear cut from the fire! Maybe those guys will get lucky and not get trichinosis. Looked up the symptoms, not pleasant. Cure is at least 2 weeks of special meds.... Geez Steve!

We put our in the freezer for 1 month to kill the trichinosis. Nothing like a medium rare black bear roast. Especially a fall bear. My wife just got one last weekend which is great because we were about out. We watched it eating berries for over an hour.

That show is fantastic. His podcast is as well.

The whole crew got trich if I remember correctly. He talks about it in some later episodes/on the podcast how stupid he was for doing it. Kinda nice because most other hunting shows would never show/admit mistakes like that. Talks about how "it will be fine" gets you screwed.

Just watched Steven Rinella's meateater 2 part show where he got a Dall sheep. It is one of the few hunting shows I enjoy in part due to the cooking and eating of meat soon after the kill.

A bit later another guy shot a black bear. I watched with horror as Steve served up a very rare black bear cut from the fire! Maybe those guys will get lucky and not get trichinosis. Looked up the symptoms, not pleasant. Cure is at least 2 weeks of special meds.... Geez Steve!

He did not get lucky. As I recall, he got trich and it sucked for him.

image.png
We put our in the freezer for 1 month to kill the trichinosis. Nothing like a medium rare black bear roast. Especially a fall bear. My wife just got one last weekend which is great because we were about out. We watched it eating berries for over an hour.

I had to look it up.;)

Joe - Never hear about this so checked it out. Found this on Mayo Clinic site. Sounds like it might not work for bear meat. Be careful.

• Have wild-animal meat frozen or irradiated. Irradiation will kill parasites in wild-animal meat, and deep-freezing for three weeks kills trichinella in some meats. However, trichinella in bear meat does not die by freezing, even over a long period. Neither irradiation nor freezing is necessary if you ensure that the meat is thoroughly cooked.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trichinosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20378583

Just rewatched the Dall sheep episode, I'm pretty sure this wasn't the time they got trich. That bear meat did not look anywhere near as rare as when they did. It just looked that "smoked meat red".

Trich is not anything to fool with. I take special care to make sure all my bear meat is well prepared.

30+ years ago, back when there was no "innertube" to learn from, and when I was too young to realize how little I actually knew. I ate some black bear stew that evidently hadn't been "stewed" long enough.
My uncle said he didn't like the looks of it and wouldn't touch it. Us young bucks suffered for weeks. I'll take food poisoning any day over trichinosis.

Wow so Steve and his friends got trich but at another time. I agree Jmcmath, it was admirable of Steve to admit to his audience he made a mistake.

We put our in the freezer for 1 month to kill the trichinosis.

I've never heard or read that freezing is a safe or accepted method of killing the parasite.

I cook it to kill them, so they don't end up feeding on me after consumption.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts