Meat quality: shot at distance vs. trapped and shot

Shoot it down..cut its throat and gut it as fast as possible...get all the blood out as fast as possible....why people hit fish on the head to kill them them try to bleed them out..never understood that....just rip the gills and let's bleed....
people taking pictures all day long and not processing eat horrible meat...
A dead animals heart stops pumping . When you cut the throat you are getting a very small amount of blood out of the neck. Even if you cut throat when alive, a very small amount is lost before animal dies . ;)

About wrapping meat. I've found that wrapping meat in Saran Wrap before wrapping in butcher or freezer paper, prevents freezer burn for years. A friend told me this years ago, and once I tried it I was sold. I buy the bulk rolls of Saran Wrap, and bulk rolls of butcher paper. Cheaper than buying multiple rolls of plastic coated freezer paper, and works much better. Never eaten wild hogs, but we are all what we eat. I shot an antelope last week in a wheat field. Really good meat.

I can guarantee you that this is why a lot of folks don't like antelope. Chase them down with a pickup and shoot at them 20 times. Stalk and shoot and never had a bad one.

A dead animals heart stops pumping . When you cut the throat you are getting a very small amount of blood out of the neck. Even if you cut throat when alive, a very small amount is lost before animal dies . ;)

Reduce pressure and you reduce temperature. Bleeding is essential.

Also, when you butcher, be sure to cut all the musk glands out an discard them. In swine there are glands in the neck, front shoulder, and in the fat in front of the hams. This will be hard, brown irregular shaped nodules that will not be good to eat
There is a big stinky gland down by the belly on boars you will cut open if you gut straight up the middle, as stated you can smell the bad ones, usually boars. I don't gut unless I want the liver/heart, just cut the legs and straps off, flip it to the other side and do the same. Some pigs stink, some don't even though they eat the same food.

Heres a hog we trapped and then shot with a 22lr to kill. We trapped him in a typical hog trap without a trap door but rather allowed him to squeeze in to feed so hes not startled as it closes behind him. We luckily had an elevated vantage point so i was able to plug him without him noticing me. Meat tastes awesome without s hint of gaminess.

Attachments

• 20200228_213705.jpg
    20200228_213705.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
The reason that farmers hang their hogs up by their hocks and cut their throats with there hearts still beating, is to get as much of the blood out as possible for best quality. Sounds cruel, but effective. This is a little more difficult with wild hogs so extra care and proper dispatching becomes more important.

Besides what they eat, blood and Adrenalin also contribute to the lack of quality if not minimized.
For thinning or managing, almost any hog should be fair game, but for eating careful selection of what you take will improve the quality.

And besides all Of these things, prompt processing and cooling are a must in order to get the best quality from any game, in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

The reason that farmers hang their hogs up by their hocks and cut their throats with there hearts still beating, is to get as much of the blood out as possible for best quality. Sounds cruel, but effective. This is a little more difficult with wild hogs so extra care and proper dispatching becomes more important.

Besides what they eat, blood and Adrenalin also contribute to the lack of quality if not minimized.
For thinning or managing, almost any hog should be fair game, but for eating careful selection of what you take will improve the quality.

And besides all Of these things, prompt processing and cooling are a must in order to get the best quality from any game, in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Exactly . Well said . Like I said earlier , dead animals don't bleed as much.

big thing too is making sure you remove the sinew and fat from most game animals. There are a few with awesome fat such as a blueberry fed bear, but i think thats more of an exception rather than norm.

Shoot it down..cut its throat and gut it as fast as possible...get all the blood out as fast as possible....why people hit fish on the head to kill them them try to bleed them out..never understood that....just rip the gills and let's bleed....
people taking pictures all day long and not processing eat horrible meat...

I long range fish, if you ever had a 250 tuna on deck and not happy about it, you'll figure out why we hit them in the head to stun them, and yes if we want to retain a sushi grade meat their gutted right away and a special cable is run down the spinal column, think it kills all the signals to the muscles, BUT I cant tell the difference in the meat from this process or just bleeding them and then into the 25 degree salt water. on a 16 day trip you my have fish in the water for 10 days.

I have noticed a small difference with antelope in how it was shot. Worst I've ever had was a buck that was taken during archery season. It was a small piece of public land where it was private fenced most of the way. Pretty much like a caged 'hunt'. We were working a stalk for most of the day and they kept moving off. So I assume it was pretty fired up when it was arrowed.

Head headshots at distance on calm/unaware game have produced the best meat for me.
Antelope. skinning is he key. Roll the skin back while you separate it from the carcass. I like to have a patient helper who understands the objective and will work with me to achieve it. If even a single hair lands on a piece of meat, cut that piece off. Do not just pick the hair off ... use clean, gloved hands and a sharp knife and cut that piece off. If you toss it to the dog, even he will get tired of the stuff. If you toss him a nice piece of meat with a little scrap of hide on it, you'll see him upchucking pretty shortly. And after that, he will likely go bury your other offerings.
Really clean antelope can be pretty good. IMHO, Antelope flesh that has had hair laid against the meat is not worth eating.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.