Meat quality: shot at distance vs. trapped and shot

Viking264

Clearly there are variables beyond the simple question of "which tastes better", but for those of you who hunt boar and then take pains to butcher and prepare them for the table in the best possible manner, I'm wondering if you can discern a difference in flavor and texture of the same cuts coming from boar shot on the same land at the same time of year (and same approximate size) when they have been caged and then shot versus simply being shot whilst running around doing "piggy things". Thanks for your time.

There are many things that can improve the quality of the game harvested and if you observe these things you can improve the quality of the table fair.

1 = What the game is eating has an effect on how it taste.
2 = If the animal is excited or has been running and is full of Adrenalin.
3 = Removal of as much blood as possible as soon as you can.
4 = skin and cool the meat as quick as possible.
5 = after processing, wrap the meat in a good freezer paper to prevent freezer burn or premature
ageing.

Hogs are no different in many ways to other game and the same rules apply except for the younger pigs that are still small, and the boars that have not dropped. they are the best. When trapping them I see people running up to the trap/pen and then shooting them. the best way I have found is to approach them at distance to not excite them (Get the Adrenalin pumping) and dispatch them from a distance. The bigger the wild hog, the poorer the quality, especially if it is a boar.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the reply. The matter of adrenalin is the key reason that I ask the question. Boar are in a group of their own in that they are routinely trapped and then dispatched, as opposed to being outright shot at distance (as a deer would), with regards to other medium-sized game. We're ordering some boar cuts from a place in the midwest (I'll eventually do a boar hunt, but that's not in the cards at present). We've ordered from this place in the past; they state that the boar are trapped and then dispatched. I figured I'd ask the question posed above just to see what others have experienced. My expectation is for tougher meat from a trapped animal, regardless of how far the shooter is afterwards.

We raise (among other things) heritage breed ducks and geese on our farm, as well as an annual group of chickens (meat birds). I'm always trying to figure a way to dispatch the birds headed for the freezer in a way that introduces as little stress as possible. It's not an easy task. We bleed/pluck/age/butcher the birds ourselves, so know the routine for best meat prep. I just can't imagine that it's possible to get the same quality of meat from a trapped boar as from one hunted while roaming freely, based on my observations with dispatching our meat birds.

Not sure there is a huge difference between them. Same as once you start shooting 3-4 out of the same sounder, I'm sure the cortisol is starting to flow.

As was already mentioned I think there's a lot more to gain from how it's handled after the fact. Especially where I'm at it's really hard to cool that critter down once you shoot it so speed out of the field is highly important to me.

Shoot it down..cut its throat and gut it as fast as possible...get all the blood out as fast as possible....why people hit fish on the head to kill them them try to bleed them out..never understood that....just rip the gills and let's bleed....
people taking pictures all day long and not processing eat horrible meat...

I am from Louisiana and we are covered in wild hogs where I hunt. We kill in the 100s of them every year. It may sound crazy, but I have always Noticed that the ones who have a sour smell when they are alive or just killed, taste like the smell lol. I have found that the ones who don't stink are better for the table. I prefer them under 100lbs and preferably a sow. I also prefer to shoot them free ranging than in a trap but have eaten many that were killed in traps and can't tell a difference. It's more about the individual pig, it's size and sex that matters.

Thanks for the reply. The matter of adrenalin is the key reason that I ask the question. Boar are in a group of their own in that they are routinely trapped and then dispatched, as opposed to being outright shot at distance (as a deer would), with regards to other medium-sized game. We're ordering some boar cuts from a place in the midwest (I'll eventually do a boar hunt, but that's not in the cards at present). We've ordered from this place in the past; they state that the boar are trapped and then dispatched. I figured I'd ask the question posed above just to see what others have experienced. My expectation is for tougher meat from a trapped animal, regardless of how far the shooter is afterwards.

We raise (among other things) heritage breed ducks and geese on our farm, as well as an annual group of chickens (meat birds). I'm always trying to figure a way to dispatch the birds headed for the freezer in a way that introduces as little stress as possible. It's not an easy task. We bleed/pluck/age/butcher the birds ourselves, so know the routine for best meat prep. I just can't imagine that it's possible to get the same quality of meat from a trapped boar as from one hunted while roaming freely, based on my observations with dispatching our meat birds.

Most of the time If trapped for a while they settle down. The idea of staying away from them is to surprise them not allowing them to get fired up. It does not always work but as we all know, If an animal is relaxed and is not aware of your presents the quality will generally be better.

The odds are better of quality meat are better if taken when free roaming and not aware of any human presents, But with caution trapped hogs "CAN" be in almost in the same state as long as they don't suspect your presents.

J E CUSTOM

I AGREE 100%

1. MEAT SHOULD BE EATING OR SLEEPING PEACEFULLY, THEN DIE, AN ASASSINATION IS HOW MY FAMILY DESCRIBES IT.

2. BLEED IMMEDIATELY

3. DEBONE ASAP, START WITHIN THE HOUR IF POSSIBLE, THROW AWAY GLANDS FIRST, MAKE SURE TO GUARANTEE NO GUT JUICE TOUCHES MEAT, IF MEAT IS CONTAMINATED WASH IN FRESH BLOOD OR WATER IF BLOOD ISNT AVAILABLE, PACK UNUSED BLOODSHOT MEET AND UNUSED ORGANS INTO WALMART BAGS FOR DOG FOOD

4. HANG IN FLYPROOF COTTON CLOTH 1-5 DAYS DEPENDING ON AMBIENT TEMPS, DONT LET MEAT GROW FUZZ UNLESS YOU WANT THAT EUROPEAN STRONG FLAVOR

5. CUT/WRAP/FREEZE, SMOKE OR COOK THE MEET ASAP
ONIONS, TOMATOES, GARLIC, CARROT AND POTATOES IN A CROCK POT HEAVILY SALTED FOR SCRAPS AS YOU BUTCHER FOR A NICE MEAL WITH HEAVY HOMEMADE BROWN BARLEY/WHEAT/BUCKWHEAT BREAD.

6. HOT BACON GREASE, SALT THE MEAT, COOK MEDIUM RARE OR MEDIUM

7. ENJOY

Trichinella can be very dangerous in pork, and bear meat. Cook to at least 145 F. degrees inside temperature to be safe.

When a sow hog is in estrus (Heat) you are going to get some bad weird smelling/tasting meat.

Growing up on a farm raising and butchering hogs for the Ham, Bacon and Egg shows and meat for our family was yearly job. I liked to raise barrow hogs for meat.

Going to school all week and plan to butcher on Saturday could get fowled up if a female butcher hogs came in heat. We would not butcher them till the next Saturday. A sow hog comes estrus in every 21 days so that 1 day makes about 5% chance of bad meat.

I have noticed a small difference with antelope in how it was shot. Worst I've ever had was a buck that was taken during archery season. It was a small piece of public land where it was private fenced most of the way. Pretty much like a caged 'hunt'. We were working a stalk for most of the day and they kept moving off. So I assume it was pretty fired up when it was arrowed.

Head headshots at distance on calm/unaware game have produced the best meat for me.

Like others have said, if I want to eat a hog I kill young gilt or a barrow (bar),or a sow. If a Boar is real fat, and less than 150 lbs., the first thing I do is head shoot him. Then cut out his testicles immediately, make sure to pull as much of the cord out as you can. Then cut his throat and bleed him. If I can smell him I walk away. He will run you out of the house when you try to cook him. He will taste just like he smells! Then I hang them if weather allows, or put them on ice for about a week, but keep the water drained off, regardless of sex. I don't trap hogs, don't chase them with dogs, and don't shoot big boar hogs unless I just want them gone. Yes, I have killed some big boar hogs that were edible, but they were the exception. But that's just the way I do it, that don't make it right! Your taste buds may be different!

Also, when you butcher, be sure to cut all the musk glands out an discard them. In swine there are glands in the neck, front shoulder, and in the fat in front of the hams. This will be hard, brown irregular shaped nodules that will not be good to eat

The "Old Timer" would always pamper his critters for two weeks (+/-) before slaughter. No kids alowed in the barnyard, grain a couple of times a day, put an "X" between the eyes and the ears, "Lights Out" hang and bleed within the minute. Save the blood for calling coyotes. Skin, cleanly dress, quarter, and refrigerate (hang, don't freeze) for two to three weeks, cut and wrap. He said the finest meat came from a young animal or a dry female that was fully relaxed, confident, lazy, and gaining some weight. That being said, apart from age, I should make some pretty good eating if anybody's into "long pork!"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts