Meat in game bags

Game bags aren't going to keep exposed meat from drying out. Bags definitely are important to keep flies off meat early in the season and also keep some dirt from getting on the outside layer of meat. Sometimes it's easier handling meat in game bags. As mentioned above it's important to keep meat and game bags dry.

Pretty much any exposed muscle will try in a few hours time. It's a piece of cake trimming this when processing. Obviously the less exposed muscle to air the less that dries. It's only around 1/16 of an inch of dry so no big deal.

As mentioned above it's a great idea to get the skin off the meat to cool quickly and get rid of any gamey smells on the hide. I have 2 freezers in my garage and always have part of one available when I come home from early season trips to freeze the meat until I have time to butcher. I haven't really had a problem doing this and it saves from getting spoiled when it's hot.

I almost always save the capes on my animals so the hide comes off in the field when I do this. It's a lot quicker and easier to bone meat in the field. This may also save a trip or 2 of packing out in the case elk sized animals. There is a little bit of wastage...especially on front legs but a lot less bone to pack out. If I don't have a long pack out I'll often leave the bone on the front legs.

Recent Posts