Measuring target distance with GPS

I am setting up a range for up to 4,000 yards. I want to use a simple GPS for measurements. Not sure which ones will work. BUT....I DON'T NEED MAPS!! All I need is the ability to mark both ends of the path and have it calculate the distance. Assuming level ground. Even without the calculator I could use pencil and paper to calculate it if the unit would give me the GPS positions. It seems that most small handheld units are geared to using maps and land marks, not just raw GPS.

But there may be some out of the box solutions as well.
1) is there a program for tracking that will use my phone to find a tagged object and give me the distance to that object?
2) Since my phone does have GPS information that is accessible to the police, how can I access that information?
3) maybe time the bullet from firing line to target? That would be hard without very accurate instruments.
Any other ways other than a 3 mile tape measure?
There is Basemap app that will do what you need, and bring Kilo5k with you so that you can add waypoint markers. I recommend bringing a Kestrel 5700 elite with link.

Did you know that there was actually an internal combustion engine that used gunpowder for fuel in the early days of autos. It didnt work very well because of residue.....LOL
Research what "Torpedoes" even the advanced Mark 48 were propelled with. It is a chemical-based explosive material "Otto Fuel II" that does not need oxygen to Ingnite for explosion in a special Axial piston engine or Turbine engine. It is harder to find than Varget, Rl-26 or Retumbo
If anyone wonders way I have a 2" barrel at the chamber and I get 6,500 to 7,000 fps second at the range???? (have to use solid bullets).