Measuring Hodgdon's Triple Seven Powder Question?

Velocity is a big factor in the energy equation.

Muzzle energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the velocity is not sufficient your bullet will not perform as designed.

If the velocity is too high bullets break apart and fail.

You are correct.

Insufficient velocity is less an issue with ML bullets than centerfire. They have a flatter profile (lower BC) by design and are 50-100% wide than most centerfires even before they expand. I've sent plenty of 40cal Shockwaves through deer's lungs without hitting bone, with minimal obvious expansion, and they all drop quickly if not immediately. AT 200+ yards the shot usually doesn't spook them and they stand there for a few seconds before dropping straight down.

Too much velocity can be a problem, but not at 200 yards with any bullet I'm familiar with. Shockwaves at 100 yards or less out of smokeless MLs need to be used with caution as they WILL be explosive and lack penetration on bone hits.

It is hard for me to make concrete statements about extended range bullet expansion performance because I take only broadside shots, and out to 338 yards I have yet to have one stop in the deer to analyze. This was the first year in 20 years I did not hunt with a ML as my primary deer weapon, I probably have around 20-25 deer at 200-338 yards. Only one traveled more than 30 yards and it was this year because I got the wind wrong.

Velocity is a big factor in the energy equation.

Muzzle energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the velocity is not sufficient your bullet will not perform as designed.

If the velocity is too high bullets break apart and fail.

Take a good look at the Barnes bullets. They expand fully down to 1,100fps and will not explode or break apart at higher velocities.

Take a good look at the Barnes bullets. They expand fully down to 1,100fps and will not explode or break apart at higher velocities.

I have heard many good things about the 195gr Barnes. I've got a big supply of Shockwaves but it is on my list to try when I run low.

ATH, you talked about using 325gr FTX + 135gr 777. What bullet is an FTX? Minot familiar with it. You use a special sabot or just what comes with the bullet? Is this your preferred load for 250yd+ distance shots or is it the Shockwaves? Just curious, why don't you use BH209?

Hi guys, I'm from Illinois. Going elk hunting next yr in Colo, I hope! I always use 777 pellets in Illinois. Colo law is LOOSE only. So I started yesterday trying to work up some loads.
I've been a muzzloader shooter since the 80's. Back then we measured grs of Blackpowder in a powder measure, and dumped it into the barrel.
Well I was going to start at 90grs for starters to get a group. When I measured 90grs in my OLD blackpowder measure, I got 28grs approx on my Digital scale.
My digital scale is Grams/Grains. It is on GRAINS.
So I measured a 777 pellet. It weighs 30.5 grs on my digital scale.
So 2 pellets weigh 61 grs.
The pellets are supposed to be (1) pellet 50grs, (2) pellets 100grs, (3) pellets 150grs.
Digital scale for (3) pellets is 91.5 grs.
777 says on the box 50gr.vol equivalent.
Question is How do I measure 100grs and 150grs loose to practice with.
Or, if I have found 130grs shoots superior, how do I measure it?
Thanks for your help!
Feel really DUMB here!
TRR

Don't try to compare the pellets to the powder. Just measure your load in the powder measure and dump it into the barrel. Don't worry what the digital says. It will only confuse you.

Pellets and powder are 2 different animals with the same name. When using pellets, follow pellet instructions and when using powder, just measure for proper volume in the measure. If you use the little pre-charge tubes, just measure and dump into the tube and cap.

150 grains or 100 grains in a old timey (like you used to use) is the measurement you want...volume measurement, not weighed weight. This is what I use:

Powder measure, brass, adjustable 0 to 120 grains, with spout - Track of the Wolf

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.