Measuring Distance Between GPS WAYPOINTS

280AI59

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows of an App that can be downloaded for I-phone 7 that will calculate distance between two gps waypoints. Is there something like this that shooters are using?

What is your purpose for measuring the distance? Is it for Extreme Long Range shooting? IF so get a laser range finder that will go to the distances you are seeking. THEN it will be a very accurate distance, within one meter, max, compared to several meters for a GPS.

Eric B.

Yes I agree. I am trying to figure out how to measure distance out past say 2000 yards and not spend 2k or better on a rangefinder of that quality. I don't intend to use it for hunting. But more for the purpose of setting up a target at extended ranges and not breaking the bank in the process. I may be on the wrong track. Whatever might be available as an app might not have the precision required. But that is the purpose of my question. I know there are a lot of shooters out there who are more advanced than myself. So I guess I'm trying to see if someone else has taken this approach. I surely appreciate your reply.

Ask yourself what long range hunters 50/60 years ago were using to (accurately) get
the ranges they needed?
I can assure you that there were lots of long range hunters then, at least in some parts of the country.
And I can also assure you they didn't suffer getting range information until the lasers arrived.
What they used were the infantry version of military rangefinders used in both WW1 and WW2.
The most popular used here by hunters was/is the units made by Barr & Stroud.
They made them for numerous countries, and some read in yards and others in meters.
There were several models, one being slightly larger and reading distances from 500 to 20.000 yards or meters, while the smaller version reads from 250 to 20.000.
They can be easily calibrated, but parts and repair sources are an issue.
I recently sold my Barr & Stroud even though it was still in near mint condition.
I still have and will keep a Swiss made Wild, pronounced Vild, which is an almost
identicle unit, but more recently made.
Mine made in the mid 70s, and ranges in meters from 200 to 10.000.
If you can see the target, you will get an accurate range every time every day.

Go on Ebay and the WW2 militaria section. Once there, type in rangefinder.
They aren'talways on there but do show up occaisionaly.
At this point in time, id suggest a Wild, due to the age factor on most others, although ive seen post war Barr & Strouds also.
Also, one never knows for sure how long they will last. We still have a WW1 unit in use by a camp member and its still in fine shape.
Expect to pay three to five hundred for one in good condition, not to say you wont encounter ones at higher prices.
Check with Deitsch optic in California, as they have had them from time to time also.
They had lots of new never issued Wilds for as I recall $300 about 10 years ago.

There's an app for Android that does this. It's called Measure Map. It is accurate to whatever accuracy your phone GPS has. Easy to use, just mark your location, go to the target, measure back to your original location. Think they have it for iPhone also....

There's an app for Android that does this. It's called Measure Map. It is accurate to whatever accuracy your phone GPS has. Easy to use, just mark your location, go to the target, measure back to your original location. Think they have it for iPhone also....

Theory is one thing, real life situations are another. Its often not possible to even get to
a location by any reasonable means.
The ones currently listed on Ebay would hold no interest at all for me.
The English Vickers shown is no doubt a 500 Barr & Stroud or an exact copy.
The German EM34 shown is actually a very nice unit, if in good usable condition, which this one isn't, or at least dosent appear to be.
I would recommend waiting for the right one, even better would be to actually see one
before buying, unless you are sure of the source.
I know for a fact others here have and use these units, and will possibly voice their opinion also.

OP said it wasn't for hunting but for "setting up targets". So I assume he can drive or walk right up to both locations. You are right about it not being a solution for hunting or shooting rocks on a cliff face.

I used to use a small stereoscopic rangefinder in the 80s for both rifle and bow hunting before laser rangefinders were available. They are pretty neat and accurate enough too.

If flat ground you could just use a measuring wheel. I used one on my 40. But was easy walking.

Before lasers became reasonably available--or at all--during the eighties I used a Ranging 1000. It's a co-incidence or "stereoscopic" rangefinder wherein one brings the two images together. It's in like new condition--I'd ship to you for a hundred bucks if you want it.

Attachments

• RANGINGa.jpg
    RANGINGa.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 14
  • RANGINGb.jpg
    RANGINGb.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 18
Before lasers became reasonably available--or at all--during the eighties I used a Ranging 1000. It's a co-incidence or "stereoscopic" rangefinder wherein one brings the two images together. It's in like new condition--I'd ship to you for a hundred bucks if you want it.

Really, would you include the shipping with that (deal)? lol

Go on Ebay and the WW2 militaria section. Once there, type in rangefinder.
They aren'talways on there but do show up occaisionaly.
At this point in time, id suggest a Wild, due to the age factor on most others, although ive seen post war Barr & Strouds also.
Also, one never knows for sure how long they will last. We still have a WW1 unit in use by a camp member and its still in fine shape.
Expect to pay three to five hundred for one in good condition, not to say you wont encounter ones at higher prices.
Check with Deitsch optic in California, as they have had them from time to time also.
They had lots of new never issued Wilds for as I recall $300 about 10 years ago.

I have the Barr & Stroud and love it but those considering it should know that if something goes wrong with it they may have to junk it as those capable and willing to fix one, or even find parts, is similar to a needle in a haystack. If your need is as the poster says to put up long range targets at a known distance just find a cheap 500 yd or so rf and mark it out 500 yards or less at a time.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.