MDT HNT26 Chassis System

brcfo_outdoors

I just saw MDT announced a new hunting specific chassis system, advertised as starting at 26oz for the basic non-folding models. I like the idea of more companies coming out with light weight chassis options, especially with ARCA options for the forend. Price starts to make my MPA look affordable though. Thought I would share, curious what you all think.

https://mdttac.com/us_en/hnt26-chassis-system.html

OXt3xjLWs-2LkAwqRz1b4GGKEoPdJwNdCTHmRQCkM8mX_4e9F3APl_KwmgcGLOxs79RekHbrYiPy3h57IGIptE-FKjC2ETzJK7K0i56YW1bhawesRXVNcM4ImxIZzp_dPLaq7rIV5w=w1000

I think the lack of response is because you misspelled "$1,300.oo for a really, really ugly hunting stock." JK, just trolling, but seriously. I know this segment is growing, but still a bit of a niche market for that level of cash. Maybe you could post this in a Q-Fix thread and watch all the hate roll in.

Personally I like it and will most likely be buying one after they release if I don't preorder it. I've been looking for a folding stock to put together a short light rifle and the next lightest folding option I could find was the MPA Ultralite chassis which is almost a pound heavier.

I figure with that stock plus my action and barrel I should be looking at a rifle that comes in under 9 pounds scoped and suppressed which is less than my Dad's 7600 carbine.

I think the lack of response is because you misspelled "$1,300.oo for a really, really ugly hunting stock." JK, just trolling, but seriously. I know this segment is growing, but still a bit of a niche market for that level of cash. Maybe you could post this in a Q-Fix thread and watch all the hate roll in.

Haha well you know what they say about opinions...

In all seriousness, you are right, and I find myself being a reluctant fan of chassis more for the features but always turned off by the weight when used in a hunting application. This is one of the first concerted efforts that I have seen to try and rectify that. I know MDT makes good stuff so I am less skeptical of the finished product as I would be from a lesser known manufacturer. I personally don't mind the aesthetics either. That all being said, I am a sucker and I preordered a green one for a 6mm CM build.

Still waiting to hear what exactly the Q-fix fixed.

"Still waiting to hear what exactly the Q-fix fixed." Ha! Seriously.

I'm with you on the confidence in MDT. I have a Tikka T3 in .270Win and it's in an LSS. I actually prefer the all around ergos of a varmint stock, but the LSS is so light. I just love it, and I trust it. To be perfectly honest the MDT HNT26 is getting more attractive the more I look at it.

Okay. Now you can make fun of me dropping a .270 in a chassis.

I got a chance to play around with the proto type a few months ago. It's pretty bad ***. I didn't get to shoot with it.

I have two MDTs and one McRees.
I will not buy another MDT. The McRees is much better, but their website stinks.
That said, I have been restoring my wood stocks and am working on a hybrid design, wood and metal.

I will not buy another MDT. The McRees is much better, but their website stinks.
That said, I have been restoring my wood stocks and am working on a hybrid design, wood and metal.

First chassis I ever bought back in 2012 or so was a McRee and I would be hard pressed to ever buy one again. The build quality was fine, but the ergonomics were clunky and they needed to do some serious machining to make the grip and chassis connection flow together comfortably. Now I have an MPA and they do a really good job of machining recesses for your thumb on both sides and I just find it much easier to shoot. Feels like more time and effort was put into the design, granted it cost more. I think McRee makes a solid, utilitarian product, but it lacks the finesse of more premium offerings.

You are one of the first people I have seen to not like an MDT product. I have used their Arca rails and such and thought they were well built, but haven't ordered a chassis until now.

The first time I heard about McRees was back in 2017 when they were threatening to sue anyone who bought a competitors chassis with a bubble level in it because they patented the idea. In reality few wanted their chassis and they were trying to flex their muscles thinking it would hurt the competition. It just made me determined to never buy one of their products.

Regardless at 4+ pounds it's not even the same category as this chassis being near triple the weight of the MDT.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.