McWhorter Rifles

smokeumm

I'm looking at purchasing a custom rifle made by McWhorter. For those of you who have experience with how this works might be able to answer my question!

What is all included in "load data" which is supplied when purchasing a custom rifle from McWhorter? Would I get the exact formula of the bullet, (like powder type, weight of powder, and etc...)? Since I do my own reloading, I would hate to spend 5K on a rifle and then have to experiment with different loads. Any input will help! thank you

[email protected]

Allan is the guy who has responded to my questions at the above address. I found him to be pretty detailed and specific in his replies to my very specific questions; though I did not always agree with his conclusions but that is what makes life interesting. I am sure you'll know exactly what is being included should you purchase one of their rifles.

Good luck and enjoy!

They will develop a load for YOUR rifle. They will tell you exactly what load with all components including bullet seating depth.

You want my advice, send them YOUR components and they will charge you accordingly. That way when you get your load, you will not have to worry about lot# differences right out of the gate.

If you don't want to send powder, buy their lot# from them.

Very good idea! One last thing, when you talk about sending them all my components, are you only talking about sending them (bass, primers, bullet tips, and powder)? Or did I miss something?

Very good idea! One last thing, when you talk about sending them all my components, are you only talking about sending them (bass, primers, bullet tips, and powder)? Or did I miss something?

No, don't send them any bass, it may spoil before it gets there. :D

Yes, send them bRass, primers (if you can [hazmat]), and bullets. OR make sure they use the primer type that you have on hand. Personally, if they have Federal 210M or 215M on hand (as an example for me), then I'd use their primers. I think you'd see very little ammo change in that regard.

Send YOUR bullets and YOUR bRass, and see if they will sell you some of their powder with the same lot# or you can order some powder from a vendor like Powder Valley Inc. or Midsouthshooterssupply.com and have them ship your powder directly to McWhorter, then have them ship you the remaining powder.

Thanks Derek!! You have been very helpful... Once I get the go ahead from the wife to purchase the rifle I will do what you say!

No kidding, shipping bass in the mail is ever a good idea hahahahhahaa...

I got this from another guy on a forum and can't remember where but it made sense so here goes:

"When I die, I hope my wife sells my rifles for what they are worth and not what I told her I paid for them"

I purchased a McWhorter rifle a month ago, and boy does it shoot! I topped it with a Zeiss Victory with the Rapid-Z reticle.

I purchased a McWhorter rifle a month ago, and boy does it shoot! I topped it with a Zeiss Victory with the Rapid-Z reticle.

It think they have a 1/2 MOA guarantee. That suits me just fine.

One day Jim Borden and McWhorter will build me a rifle. I just have to decide what. For Borden, it will likely be a 300 WSM because he likes that caliber so much.

McWhorter and Rovig seem to like the Weatherbys, the 270, 6.5 (270 necked down), and the 7mm.

I'm just not sure I want the brass Weatherby shape on the shoulder. Have no experience with it.

It think they have a 1/2 MOA guarantee. That suits me just fine.

One day Jim Borden and McWhorter will build me a rifle. I just have to decide what. For Borden, it will likely be a 300 WSM because he likes that caliber so much.

McWhorter and Rovig seem to like the Weatherbys, the 270, 6.5 (270 necked down), and the 7mm.

I'm just not sure I want the brass Weatherby shape on the shoulder. Have no experience with it.

Mine is chambered for 300 WBY. Weatherby's are not any more difficult to reload for than anything else.

Well that is good to know.

Just curious why you would opt for a Weatherby over a non-belted RUM? And, is it a good idea to neck size only the Weatherby cases?

Well that is good to know.

Just curious why you would opt for a Weatherby over a non-belted RUM? And, is it a good idea to neck size only the Weatherby cases?

I guess I'm just a Weatherby nut, its been one of my alltime favorite calibers. I always FL size without problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.