McWhorter 6.5 Weatherby HERE!!

will Do, It is a pretty gun, if it shoots as good as it looks I'll be happy. Have a couple different loads to try. Report tomorrow

Awesome! Be sure to post up some pics. I'm thinking of building a 6.5 Weatherby as well. I wish Weatherby would introduce a factory 6.5, based on the 257/270/7mm case.

Are you using 257 or 270 Weatherby brass? Also, what twist rate and barrel length did you go with?

Let us know how it shoots?

I bought Norma .257 Weatherby, bought the Redding custom dies from McWhorter.
I'm surprised Weatherby hasn't introduced a 6.5 Magnum. I guess they are waiting for to see how the .26 Nosler does.

I had a 7mm WSM, such a great caliber !! Just wanted the perfect long range deer, antelope, maybe Elk (someday). After talking with McWhorter, I decided on the 6.5 Weatherby. I had them install one of their brakes, it works great, very little recoil.

The loads he sent with the rifle are 68.0gr H-1000, 140 VLD Hunting Bergers, their preferred bullet. I also have Retumbo, and somehow scored 6#'s of Vitouvouri N-560, McWhorters favorite powder for this caliber. I will shoot some loads with it this morning.

I also bought some 140gr Sierra MatchKings to shoot for accuracy. I had Hornady make a modified case for me for initial OAL measuring. I used a comparator to take measurements off the Berger loads McWhorter sent, off the ogive, cause of their inconsistent meplats.

I'm in the lands with the Bergers, I'll seat the Sierras a little off.

His loads are running 3089 FPS, The Swarovski 5-25 is sighted zeroed at 200yds, with a custom dial measured in yards.

Probably my last custom, lots of $$ in this one, had to sell my 7mmWSM F-Class gun to build this one.

Reports and pictures this afternoon or in the morning, hope to get .75 MOA or less, better, the $300 Ruger American can do that!!!???
Ha Ha !!!:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.