MCR 7mm WSM range report

jmason

This is a long over due range report from a gun Kevin Cram (Montour County Rifles) put together for me. He posted this in the gun photo's section shortly after he finished it this spring. A few folks requested a range report so here it is.

I started wanting to shoot the 180 VLD but after some testing I found my barrel just didn't like them for what ever reason so I switched to the 162 A-max and immediately noted they were a better fit. My sweet spot ended up being 69.5 gr of H1000 and CCI250 primers. I ended up with 3020 as an average MV that is is shooting sub .5 MOA. Below are groups shot at 100, 400, and 605 yards. Please disregard the crap I wrote all over the targets and note the group size. I have some 192 Matrix bullets here I'll try in the spring and post about if they agree with my barrel.

Kevin built me a fine shooter that didn't see much action last year but this year will be a different story!!

7wsm1and4hundred.jpg

7wsm605.jpg

John_Mason_7mm_WSMtemp.jpg

He did good on this one...This gun is a doll to shoot.

Fit and finish of this was perfect and it looks like it shoots just as good.

Congrats john hope the cheytac is just as nice...which by the way you got any deatails on that???:)

Fellers thanks for the kind words.

JUDD- It's gonna be a slow process. Everything about them (chey-tac)are expensive. Looks like I have the wife talked into lettin me get a Barnard action for it. The reamer was ordered as well. Nuthin fancy just a couple changes to help go a little faster. Barrel life isn't a concern on this one. I want a hot rod.

Last edited:
It took some time but I knew your tinkeritis would kick in and you would find the load for that 7!

Can't wait to see the cheytac when it is done. Gimme a call sometime and let me in on the specs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.