MCR 338 Lapua Heavy Gun

Kevin Cram

Here's the latest rifle that rolled out of the shop yesterday. A nice piece of curly maple and birds eye. Stiller TAC 338 action. Kreiger barrel. Leupold 8.5-25. Vais brake. Burris Signature Zee Rings. Jewel Trigger. The scope riser block will come back after season and get duracoated black to match the action. (somebody was in a hurry to go shoot :) This will be his hunting rifle for this year and we just barely got it out in time. Hopefully will have some pics by the end of the year with it's take. Hope you enjoy.

CraigBrubakers338Lapua1.jpg

CraigBrubakers338Lapua2.jpg

CraigBrubakers338Lapua3.jpg

Last edited:
The customer built the table but I made the custom top for him called a speed shaft. I also forgot to mention that Joel Russo played a part in this also. The customer had the curly maple glued up and Joel added the birds eye on the forearm and carved out the stock. If you've ever worked with curly maple it's a real pain in the *** to sand to get the grain right. Finishing was done with 7 coats of automotive clear.

Nice gun, but sure looks really heavy!!!, and really accurate, very different looking rifle, and a great looking rig.

Kevin,
That is a work of art. I take my hat off to you, well done.

If you ever move down to Aus, you can put me down as your first customer.

The customer built the table but I made the custom top for him called a speed shaft. I also forgot to mention that Joel Russo played a part in this also. The customer had the curly maple glued up and Joel added the birds eye on the forearm and carved out the stock. If you've ever worked with curly maple it's a real pain in the *** to sand to get the grain right. Finishing was done with 7 coats of automotive clear.

Question? But first let me say absolutly gorgeous stock and great gun overall. I love curly and birdseye maple. In fact Joel's looking for a 2.5" piece to accomodate BAT M action for me. Very very nice!!! Question: just under the front of the scope, there's a block...looks about 8 inches long...almost like a shroud, what is that and it's purpose? Charlie.

What`s the cost on a custom stock like that i have a piece of figured bubinga and black mesquite that would probably make a nice stock?

Chas1,

The piece your referring to is a barrel block. These are used when very long and large barrels are used to support the weight of the heavy barrel. The barrel is screwed onto the action as normal. The barrel block is then epoxied onto the barrel and the barrel block itself is what is bolted to the stock. The action is free floating from the stock just like the rest of the barrel is. Perfectly stress free.

Robster,

Since you have the wood already I would check with Joel Russo on a price. This stock had the curly maple already glued up by the customer and the customer supplied the birds eye but Joel glued the birds eye up and carved out the stock for $350. Here's a link to Joel's site

Home_Page

Thanks Kevin. Barrel block I remember reading about them a while ago I think on the Benchrest Central Forum. Again thanks for responding and a great looking rig. Charlie

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.