MCR .338-.408 Chey-Tac

Kevin Cram

I've had this gun done for a few weeks and just got done load testing today. Lawton 8500 action, Brux 34" barrel, Muscle Brake (works awesome!!) Mcmillan A-5 Super Mag, Leupold 8.5-25 scope. 134g H50BMG throws the 300g SMK at 3196 fps with no signs of pressure. 300 yard testing showed 3/4" 4 shot groups. Everything but the scope was Duracoated matte black, (I know it's very plain looking, but it's meant to be a killer not as much a show piece) Hope you enjoy.

338-408.jpg

338-4082.jpg

Nice rifle I bet it can get the job done!
Is their a reason that the scope looks like it's mounted higher than usual?

Bigbuck

Kevin - nice work. Seems you're really cranking them out recently.

I like the A-5 stock and I'm considering getting one or two myself. I know you can get an adjustable LOP, but do you know if you can get a custom, fixed LOP?

KEVIN,
THATS AN AWESOME LOOKING RIFLE WHATS THE COST FOR A RIG LIKE THAT I`VE BEEN THINKING OF ONE IN EITHER 338-408CHEYTAC,375 CHEYTAC OR 408 CHEYTAC OR MAYBE BIGGER. BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER FOR ME.gun)

Thanks for the kind words. The scope is sitting high only because the ring and base combo I used I took from my heavy gun. I needed the higher bases to clear the barel block on the old gun. I figured rather than make some new ones I'd use these for now. To build something similiar would be around the $3500 give or take a few depending on your options. Yes, you can get the A-5 with a fixed LOP and the pad installed right from McMillan also with or without the integral cheekpiece. This is the the A-5 super mag which is a little wider and longer for the bigger chey-tac actions and barrel contours. In about 2 weeks is bear season here in PA, JUDD and I are hoping to have at least one kill with it this season and if we're lucky it will be a long poke.

That is one great looking rifle!!! Congratulations. Was going to ask also if there was a special reason for the scope to be so high, but you previous response answered it. I like that kind of muzzle break, and I am also a fan of having a real tack driver than a prettier rifle. Great job, and it seems to me the price is very good for them. Thanks for posting.
Keep us updated on your hunting season progress, good luck with the bears!!!

Very nice Kevin.

I was already excited for bear season but now that you got the cheytac done it's adds to it even more!

I'm hopin the first kill is one at a mile plus!! But I'll settle for less:D

Keep that reamer shined up you might be usin it again soon!! gun)

Kevin, all black sure is serious looking and is, must be very exciting to shoot. Very nice, best of luck with it.

Man that thing is cool lookin. I love plain, and simplistic lookin guns. I got to see this as it was "in progress" when I was over there and it sure came out nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.