MCR 338 - 408 Chey-Tac Re-build

Kevin Cram

Well last year I put together a 338 - 408 Chey-Tac for myself. After using it one season I found some things about the rifle I just had to change for this year. The barreled action is the same only I stripped the matte black Duracoat off and went with a brushed stainless look. I swapped out the Leupold 8.5-25 for the Sightron 8-32. The stock was the biggest change. I have a McMillan A-5 Super Mag. It's just like the regular A-5 but beefed up everywhere. I had trouble making small elevation changes with the rear bag due to the parallel butt section. I milled it down to an angle and built it back up fiberglass resin so to have the tapered butt like most rifles. The deer and bear didn't seem to care for the tactical look of everything being matte black so I opted to spice it up a little. I Duracoated the stock matte black again, then had ovals cut out on the laser engraver to use as a stencil along with the company name. I airbrushed them in Duracoat neon green. It was still too flat looking so I sprayed a couple layers of
automotive clear over everything to shine it up and this is the final results.

BEFORE:
338-4082.jpg

AFTER:

KevinCram338-408Chey-Tac.jpg

KevinCram338-408Chey-Tac2.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Interesting scope bases, they seem very beefy, but also significantly higher than the barrel contour would require, what's your reasoning behind that?

The rings and bases are a design of a friend of mine. I machined the rings about 10 years ago and made the bases for another rifle that had a barrel block on it. I needed the the height to clear the barrel block then. This action has the same radius so I just used the same bases rather than make new ones.

JUDD and I were out shooting the beast yesterday. 100 yards was too close and I never planned on shooting this less than 500 yards anyway. We set a target up at 300 yards but after he fired a sub 1" group from his 338 Lapua I couldn't be out done. I moved the target out to 500 yards. By the time I walked back to the gun the **** target blew over. All I had to shoot at was a piece of 2 x 4 about 10" long laying on the ground The first shot went about 3" right 2" high but with a quick change I was able to put 5 shots in the wood in about a 3" group. Guess I can live with a 500 yard zero at the bottom of the scope. Now I have enough clicks to get out to 2500 yards.

We learned three things yesterday...

1) any gun you touch flat out shoots!!

2) we are not even close without a drop charts....lol

3) I can't paint worth a sh!t !!

The Cheytac is a sweet pice of Machinery ...well under an 3" at 500 is impressive!

Last edited:
I tend toward more traditional looking long range rifles( if it looks similar to a 77V or 700V or 70V its cool) and AWAY from the freakier looking dusky rose mauve rifles etc. But I gotta admit, you have impressed this old man. Your rifle looks pretty dang cool !!! Good job!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.