McMillian Stock Screws rusting

buzz4me2

The 2 screws that hold the adjustable cheek piece of my McMillan stock have started to rust after only 2 outings. These are the 2 screws on the top of the cheek piece that are the troubled ones, not the 2 that are on the side of the stock.

Has anyone seen this before? I've only had the rifle for 5 months, took it on 2 hunts and one of them it was raining. Every night back at camp I cleaned the gun as best as I could and wiped it down with a Remington wipe.

I'm going to call McMillan and ask them for a couple of new screws. It's just really surprising that this would happen so quickly. In my opinion it shouldn't happen and maybe I just got a bad batch of screws.

Thanks

The 2 screws that hold the adjustable cheek piece of my McMillan stock have started to rust after only 2 outings. These are the 2 screws on the top of the cheek piece that are the troubled ones, not the 2 that are on the side of the stock.

Has anyone seen this before? I've only had the rifle for 5 months, took it on 2 hunts and one of them it was raining. Every night back at camp I cleaned the gun as best as I could and wiped it down with a Remington wipe.

I'm going to call McMillan and ask them for a couple of new screws. It's just really surprising that this would happen so quickly. In my opinion it shouldn't happen and maybe I just got a bad batch of screws.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. I just received a ADJ-HTG and can see how moisture could set there. Maybe a rubber plug would help but your right they should not rust.

Let me ask you were you satisfied with the finish of your stock when you received it? After inspection of this one I see what appears to be sandpaper marks all over it. For what I paid for this thing you would expect it to be near perfect. If those screws start rusting I will be really ****ed.

Post what McMillan says about the screws.

Hey Jim,
I'll let you know what they say. I didn't have any issues with the finish on the stock. It turned out nice.

I like the idea about a couple of plugs to full in the holes. I'll have to look into that, it's a good idea.

Thanks

Yes they will rust some but it does not seem to get bad. They are just regular bolts. Put some oil on them if you wish. As mentioned if you want to you can replace them with SS.

I called McMillan today and they are sending me 2 new screws. They also said this will happen if they get wet. Surprised they know this and don't switch to SS or a better coated screw. Oh well

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.