McMillan Xp-100 stock

koja

Picked up an older McMillan,it does not have a swivel stud, what is the best way/type, to install a stud for bipod? I scanned the area, that I would call a boss for the swivet stud,no metal.Seems this material is soft under the skin. thanks

Attachments

• McMillan xp-100.jpeg
    McMillan xp-100.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 115
Drill pilot hole , screw in threaded stud that looks like a wood screw with gorilla glue on it. Dampen area for the glue to work properly. Or go with fine threaded and lock nut on the inside. Good luck!

Looks like a HS Precision stock to me.
I would dremel circle area where the sling swivel stud goes, and the bed a aluminum insert through the bottom of the forend channel, then tap the aluminum for the stud

H-S Precision XP-100 forends have reputation for breaking when using a bipod, unless it has been reinforced.

I wonder about the make,it was advertised as a LH McMillan silhouette stock on SP. Poking around the edges of aluminum bedding block I found that the material under the skin,is soft.I have some aluminum pillars for bedding 22lr actions,might jut do the trick,
Thanks Ernie and Chris !

I wonder about the make,it was advertised as a LH McMillan silhouette stock on SP. Poking around the edges of aluminum bedding block I found that the material under the skin,is soft.I have some aluminum pillars for bedding 22lr actions,might jut do the trick,
Thanks Ernie and Chris !
It's an hs.

Reinforced with arca,Well Ernie and Chris,I could tell that these foward legged bipods put a bit more strain on stocks.I milled the old spine out,
found a piece of aluminum,some 10-32 t nuts left over from KRG stock.Milled out the fiber spine.Pillared the aluminum spine,to mate up to the arca rail.Bedded in spine.Took at bit to mill the stock curve shape to acra rail.Found out later, a little bend in press would had worked.Added a sling stud for an Harris.

Attachments

• Resized_20230424_111041(1).jpeg
    Resized_20230424_111041(1).jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Resized_20230506_190259.jpeg
    Resized_20230506_190259.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Resized_20230506_190456(1).jpeg
    Resized_20230506_190456(1).jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 69
As you know thats not the only place they break!
Where do they break,Where does the rockwell break,I have one of those.
I seen an Wichita arms 308 win with a compsite stock break during a IHMSA match beside me ,early 80's Air Capital gun club,first one I and others ever seen,seem to have broke at recoil lug or action screw area,remember stock was pinkish inside.Screwed his finger up,thinking trigger blade took a chunk of finger.he had to leave.Think it was 6# limit back then,no muzzle brakes,I was shooting a 13 1/2" 284 win "Radke" mag n port next to him.Tad handful.

Anyone dealt with the 35 Bullberry? My 7-30 is a Bullberry I ordered in '99 or so. It is a very accurate barrel. Be nice to stick with the 30-30 brass since I have a marlin 30-30 and the 7-30
I have also had them crack/break along the top of the grip where the top pf the grip meets the body of the stock

@ChrisRhodes would be able to do a good job of explaining where the Rockwell stocks have typically broken, since he built a number of custom builds using that brand.
When they broke, he always heard back from the customer

I can not speak to the weaknesses and breaking but this is the best method for installing a sling stud or pic rail.

These t-nuts can typically be purchased at a local hardware store.