McMillan stocks

jnolaniv

I am as new as it gets as far as long range shooting is concerned. I have some stock rifles, but I've never modified any of them. I'm looking at a Rem 700 Sendero in 300WM, but I really like the look and feel of the McMillan stocks (A4,A5). Can I just drop the 700 action and barrel into one? How difficult is it? Where is a good place to get the stocks? Is it even possible? Thanks in advance for any and all advice, and helping out a real newbie
grin.gif

You can buy MCMillan stocks, ready to ship at the LRH Store

-John

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 - B's of accuracy are bullets, barrel and BEDDING. I am not a big believer in drop-in stocks regardless of who makes them. Factory actions and barrels are built within factory (loose) tolerances. The drop-in stock have to accomodate them all.

If I were you I would simply have the sendero stock bedded. These stocks are well made and provide a good platform for a quality bedding job. Eventually, you will want a custom barrel and then you will be 2/3's of the way there.
wink.gif

Good luck - VH

[ 02-15-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

I will concur with Varmint Hunter and add this. If you get a copy of McMillan's catalog you will note that they offer a finishing and bedding service at a reasonable price and can supply and fit the stock to your barreled action as well. I have a friend that had his rifle bedded by them and is very happy with the result.

I also can't say enough about my personal satisfaction with the A-5 stock which currently resides on my Winchester Model 70 in 7mm WSM.
smile.gif

7WSM1K.jpg

Thanks guys. I think you made up my mind for me. I wasn't sure if I was going to use just the drop in or have the bedding done. I'm definitely having it bedded. I'll be honest, it can be quite confusing building a custom rifle for the first time, thanks for your help. This is my plan so far....so far as I can hide all these expenditures from my wife:

Rem 700 Sendero in 300WM
NightForce 8-32x5 NXS with the R2 reticle
McMillan A5 stock
Harris bipod
NightForce rings and one piece M1913 rail

Can you guys give any suggestions on the best barrel in your opinion, once I can save up for that too? What about a muzzle break? Thanks again for all your help.

John

Texas Dave,

Yes, I plan on selling it as soon as I buy the rifle. It'll be a month or two until then, though. I'll drop you a line when I'm selling it in case you're still interested. Thanks.

John

John, DON'T was your money on a sendero IF you are going to buy a McMillian stock. (I'm not knocking the sendero, just saying no need to buy sendoer and not use the Sendero stock)

Buy a 700, sent it to a good smith and get it done right.

I bought a 700 LSS in 300 RUM, had it rebarreled with a krieger 7mm STW (got it for $260 barely used, couldn't pass it up) added a Mcmillian remington hunter. I love it!

As far as barrels go, I just got my 338 lapua with a 28" fluted lilja #7....WOW WOW WOW!
What a barrel!

I would highly advise buying the barrel and stock together. Why pay for work you will have to pay for again when you upgrade the barrel.

My estimate:

700 action $350-400
Barrel: $500
Stock $575
gunsmith: $200

Total: $1625 -$1650

Sendero with new Mcmillian: $1375 (about)

I have used mostly Hart barrels in the past, however they are getting pretty expensive now and you gotta wait forever to get one. Since then I have started to use PAC-NOR barrels. They are awesome and are a little bit cheaper and they will tell you that it will be finished in 4-6 weeks but so far I have never had one go over three weeks. I just bought a 338/10 twist Fluter Stainless Super Match from them @ 390.00 and am really jazzed by their quality. Lilja is a great barrel as well but if your in a hurry to shoot, try a Pac_nor, I don't think you will be dissapointed. As well they can install a break on your barrel blank, but I don't know the cost of that. I have a 308 barrel, a 6.5 barrel, and a heavy 22 barrel, all from PAC-NOR, I really like em. All shoot very well. Good luck with the project!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.