McMillan Stock....help me pick

Coues7,
Check out the stocks from Manners.
http://www.mannersstocks.com/
I have the GAT thumbhole for my 7-08. It may be a little big in the rear end, but the grip position is just right for me. I got the GAT lightweight version and finished should be right at 2.5 lb. The finished rifle should weigh 10lb with a Rem action, 24" 5.75 fluted Broughton, scope and mounts.
The MCS-T is like the HTG, but with a higher cheek piece and a couple of other mods.
The new UL hunter stocks are from the same mold as the MCS-T, but weigh less than two pounds.
So far I am happy with mine, but don't have the rifle finished yet!
My $.02

I have the Lazzeroni Sporter stock from McMillan on my model 70 wincheser. I absolutely love it. It is built to manage recoil and I might add it does a dang good job. Very comfortable for me. The high monte carlo puts me righ on w/ a 50mm objective scope as well. I got mine in Olive/Black/grey finish, kind of looks like camo.

coues7,
another az guy i also don't live to far from you but have you considered a lighter weight stock like a high tech specialties, brown precision. they are pretty light on my rifle i have the high tech vamint stock it is only 20 oz. and can be made to fit a heavy barrel with no problem. the mcmillan is heavy and can wear you out in a hurry in the az desert and mountains.
just wondering but who are you going to have do the work?
i know a couple of people in az that do great work at a good price if you need.

Holy Crap those manner stocks are expensive! They better be **** good for that price! The cost alone would deter me no matter how light, strong and good they are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This decision is getting further away from being decided upon NOT closer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Might look at MPI stocks also...I have one of the Tacticals coming this week. They require some finishing, but no big deal. They have some very lightweight stocks. My Tactical weighs around 2lbs finished and is a copy of the A-2. I am having them change the forend to resemble the A-3, and that should shave a little weight also. I will report when the rifle is finished up.

I never did get a quote from McMillan, but their website prices are about the same as Manners. It seems to me it's gonna run about $500 for either or a Lone Wolf. Just a shorter wait with Manners, but McMillan is still said to be king of the hill. A stock is a hard choice for me too, is has to fit your body right (not just length of pull, but grip diameter, cheek height, cheek offset, etc..) as well as fit the purpose of the rifle.
My next rifle is going to be a toothpick rifle, light and slender. I am leaning toward Lone Wolf summit xl or a Manners super light for that one.
Good luck in your quest.
There is a lot of good info on this board to make any decision harder!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts