McMillan A5 ?

ENCORE

First let me indicate that I'm shooting a long range muzzleloader and not a centerfire.

Note: Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress, which has the Remington 700 action.

I currently have a McMillan Hunter Thumbhole stock on the rifle. The LOP is 13.5" and I really need a 14" or 14 1/4" LOP. The drop is to much, so I "Band-Aid" that up to my liking. Its also a very poor stock for attempting to shoot prone.

I'm contemplating changing stocks and for some reason the McMillan A5 keeps drawing at me. I like the vertical grip, the adjustable comb and the ability to adjust LOP. I'm also under the impression that the A-series stocks are a better stock for shooting prone??????

I'm the kind of guy that will spend $100 on raffle tickets without questioning. However spending $101 starts the "numb-skull" part of my brain working. So spending nearly $900 is a considerable cost.

Do you more seasoned shooters believe there might be enough benefit for the change?

Last edited:
Well, the McMillan A5 is an excellent stock. You would have to see if they can inlet one for your muzzle loader.

You might want to take a look at the McMillan Anschutz Silhouette stock

After considerable conversation with McMillan and some careful thought about my future intentions, I ended up ordering the McMillan Game Warden stock. It will come in at 2.5#, much lighter than an A5 and meet my overall needs better I believe.

Only thing I don't like about my a5 adjustable is the price tag. They are never trashed. I've got one standard a5 that I had my body shop brother fiberglass up and repaint after I screwed it up real good. They seem to be idiot resistant

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.