McMillan A3 vs HTG ADJ for hunting

matt_3479

What is peoples preferences on a long range hunting rifle. I am just deciding on the last few components before i hopefully get my first project on its way. I always wanted the McMillan A5 or A3 stock and after takling to my gunsmith i decided A3. But in recent weeks i began thinking about the HTG ADJ due to weight and comfort. I haven't held any of these stocks as for its my first project. This rifle will be used for long hulls, long hikes, as well as sitting and long range shooting. The A3 and A5 are a little heavier and bulker and i began thinking are they too big and bulky for long hikes? The HTG is more of hunter version and i know that would be fine.

From your experience do you prefer the HTG or A3 for a hunting rifle and if you were to have an "all purpose rifle" so to speak (long hikes, shorter and longer range shooting) would you take the HTG or A3

You can buy McMillan stocks ready to ship at the LRH store

Last edited by a moderator:
What is peoples preferences on a long range hunting rifle. I am just deciding on the last few components before i hopefully get my first project on its way. I always wanted the McMillan A5 or A3 stock and after takling to my gunsmith i decided A3. But in recent weeks i began thinking about the HTG ADJ due to weight and comfort. I haven't held any of these stocks as for its my first project. This rifle will be used for long hulls, long hikes, as well as sitting and long range shooting. The A3 and A5 are a little heavier and bulker and i began thinking are they too big and bulky for long hikes? The HTG is more of hunter version and i know that would be fine.

From your experience do you prefer the HTG or A3 for a hunting rifle and if you were to have an "all purpose rifle" so to speak (long hikes, shorter and longer range shooting) would you take the HTG or A3
I'm fixing to put one of my rifles in a B&C M40 stock and the A3 sporter will be the next stock I buy.

Attachments

• A3 sporter.jpg
    A3 sporter.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 238
My advice is for you to post up where you live and maybe some of the guys close to you would let you check out their stocks in person. Stock fit is a personal thing and it's hard to tell what you would like just by having us tell you what we like. I have, and have used, the HTG/A2/A3/A4/A5 and Manners T2. My hands down favorite is the A5 with the A3 coming next in line. The HTG is the last stock I would pick. Here's my reasoning behind my dislike for the HTG. For me the comb is too low and has too much drop. I don't get a very good cheek weld. I ran them with stockpacks to try and help and it was OK. Now I know you can go adjustable on them but I don't like the extra weight that ends up in the butt of the rifle and then they don't balance right unless you have more weight up front. Balance means a bunch to me with rifles and after going through a bunch of builds I've ended up finding out that a Sendero/Varmint contour in the 22-24" range in a standard filled A3/A5 feels good to me and I can shoot them off hand quite well also. The other thing I notice about HTG's for me is that they don't do a good job of soaking up recoil and I "feel" more of it with them compared to the other stocks.....Even in just 308's. Shooting prone the butt rides low on my shoulder and that doesn't help either.

All in all stock fit is personal and you really would be fruther ahead just by getting your hands on some before you buy.

I have the ADJ-HTG on my main rifle. With it I can achieve a perfect cheek weld so the small additional weight is a fair trade off and having a little more weight at the rear of the stock really helped to balance the rifle. When I hand carry it which is most of the time the balance is perfect even with the #5 26 inch barrel. The knobs catch on the brush somewhat but have developed a habit of checking them along with the safety when hiking. Did not like the feel of the stock at first but am very satisfied with it now.

I have the ADJ-HTG on my main rifle. With it I can achieve a perfect cheek weld so the small additional weight is a fair trade off. The knobs catch on the brush somewhat but have developed a habit of checking them along with the safety when hiking.Did not like the feel of the stock at first but am very satisfied with it now.

This is exactly why I say people should try stocks first. The HTG obviously works better for you than it does me.....and it works for a whole LOT of people, just not for me. :D

My advice is for you to post up where you live and maybe some of the guys close to you would let you check out their stocks in person. Stock fit is a personal thing and it's hard to tell what you would like just by having us tell you what we like. I have, and have used, the HTG/A2/A3/A4/A5 and Manners T2. My hands down favorite is the A5 with the A3 coming next in line. The HTG is the last stock I would pick. Here's my reasoning behind my dislike for the HTG. For me the comb is too low and has too much drop. I don't get a very good cheek weld. I ran them with stockpacks to try and help and it was OK. Now I know you can go adjustable on them but I don't like the extra weight that ends up in the butt of the rifle and then they don't balance right unless you have more weight up front. Balance means a bunch to me with rifles and after going through a bunch of builds I've ended up finding out that a Sendero/Varmint contour in the 22-24" range in a standard filled A3/A5 feels good to me and I can shoot them off hand quite well also. The other thing I notice about HTG's for me is that they don't do a good job of soaking up recoil and I "feel" more of it with them compared to the other stocks.....Even in just 308's. Shooting prone the butt rides low on my shoulder and that doesn't help either.

All in all stock fit is personal and you really would be fruther ahead just by getting your hands on some before you buy.

The majority of boys On this site are american. I have yet to speak to someone from my neck of the woods (southern Ontario)

Very good points. I can only imagine the level of disappointement one would have after waiting months on a new custom stock then putting the rig together and finding it to be a very unsatisfactory fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.