Mcgowen vs shilen vs criterion

They don't lap their barrels and some folks got some really really rough pipes from them, despite the fact they insist they're so good they don't need to lap. Other guys got crooked bores even though they really hype their super-perfect air gauging. I also read a bunch of reviews that said their packaging was bad, as in one later of tape on each end and no padding in the cardboard tube. Some guys got empty tubes, their barrels are just rolling around in a post office somewhere because, heyo, the tape wasn't enough. I wanted to support local guys but I have no interest in spending time on returns and replacements.
Have you owned one? I have 2 and they're meticulously done with great results. Both shoot 1/2 MOA and both loads developed are low teen to single digit SDs, one a 300WSM and the other a 6.5 CM. I don't always believe the reviews of a few sour apples. Sometimes people make mistakes. I know they had some issues when they first opened, but now they seem to have things dialed in. My packaging is top notch for the one in my shop now. Oversized cardboard tube, Barrel wrapped in plastic webbing and wrapped in bubble wrap in the tube. Plenty of tape used also. I had a $700 proof show up that had issues and went back. Nobody is the perfect deal all the time.

Have you owned one? I have 2 and they're meticulously done with great results. Both shoot 1/2 MOA and both loads developed are low teen to single digit SDs, one a 300WSM and the other a 6.5 CM. I don't always believe the reviews of a few sour apples. Sometimes people make mistakes. I know they had some issues when they first opened, but now they seem to have things dialed in. My packaging is top notch for the one in my shop now. Oversized cardboard tube, Barrel wrapped in plastic webbing and wrapped in bubble wrap in the tube. Plenty of tape used also. I had a $700 proof show up that had issues and went back. Nobody is the perfect deal all the time.
No, I haven't owned one, that was pretty clear. But I put a hundred or so hours of research into this project, just on the barrel. I'm sure they put out lots of good ones, but they had by far the highest ratio of very specific complaints. All the other manufacturers had about the same percentage of complaints or errors or QC failures, and PBB had a MUCH higher number from the last year or two. I work at a well-known but small metal parts manufacturer, I know what real complaints and fake ones look like. I know some people are whiners, but that wasn't what I saw. I wasn't ready for the risk. It's not the consumer's job to give someone a pass just because they're new. But I'm glad to hear they're doing better.

Agree with, Jake as I, too put, MANY Hours of Research, into choosing, a Barrel and found that, Criterion and Shilen would be, the BEST of, the RemAge style, "bolt on", barrels, from many reports of,. SUCCESS !
And, the Proof WAS,.. IN the Pudding !
I also, put in, many Hours of Research on, Bullet "Choices" for, my Rifles and type of, Game Hunted.
No need to argue just, DO what you "think",.. is,. BEST !
And,.. Report your "findings',.. HERE !
I liked, the CrownRidgeBarrelWorks RemAge,.. "Nut" as, it worked well and looks, GOOD !
Their Barrels "look" nice, but I have no,.. first hand knowledge, on them.
Also liked, the PTG, SS, "ground", Recoil Lug.

Last edited:
I bought a remington pre-fit barrel from McGowen about 5 years ago. My order took 2-3 months, but it came exactly as ordered. I had a smith screw it on a stock remington action (no blueprinting or truing) and set the headspace. No break in at all. It shot .5 inch groups with my first handload I tried and decided that was good enough for my hunting rifle. It would probably do better if I even halfway tried. Love my first and only McGowen barrel.

Right now, I have a McGowen in 6.5-06, a Shilen in 6.5 CM, a Shaw in 6.5 CM and 7mm-08, a X-Caliber in 22 CM, a White Oak (Kreiger) in 6.8 SPC II, and a Wilson in 223 Wylde.
The only barrel that doesn't shoot outstanding is the Shaw 7mm-08 barrel, but I've only tried a couple different bullets and powders with it. It still shoot's around 3/4 moa.

This thread is interesting. I've enjoyed the reveiw and comments. Going to get a McGowen myself.

Last edited: