McGowen or Hart Rebarrel

My smith uses Hart barrels exclusively unless you supply or request a different brand. They don't offer chrome moly any more if that matters to you.
For my last project I had a stainless barrel and steel action, and the bluing guy was out of service so we ended up doing the Birdsong teflon based finish.

VE4n4uU.jpg

ioas6Z0.jpg

I had one prefit Macgowen barrel done in a 280 Remington/700 action. The barrel shot.1/2 inch groups from the get go...I just ordered another prefit 6mm Remington from them for a model 7 action.

A real good man once told me the best barrels are made in wisconsin (bartlein, brux, rock creek, Krieger, criterion.....).
But, Maq Attaq didn't ask about any of those, he asked about McGown and Hart. All of those you mentioned are about a year out if ordered from the barrel maker. I just ordered a Hart this afternoon , and Karen told me10-12 weeks. I have looked around at several of the shops that keep Krieger, Bartlein and Brux barrels and the "pickens" there are pretty slim. Over the past 28yrs I have used barrels by the makers you mentioned, and I've used a bunch of Harts, too. Not a thing in this world wrong with a Hart barrel! A proper rifle that wears a Hart barrel will out shoot 99% of the people.