McGowen or Hart Rebarrel

Maq Attaq

I am going to rebarrel my Ruger M77 MK II. Going from a 280 to 7 mag. I have narrowed it down to two barrel manufacture, Mcgowen or Hart. which one of the two would you go with? Thanks

I have had two Hart barrels. One on a 270 Win and one on a 300 WM (Ruger Tanger). Both shoot very well.

I currently have two Carbon Six barrels (McGowen blanks) a 308 Win and a 300 RUM. The RUM shoots very well, but shows pressure a little quicker with lower charge weights. Accuracy is good so I deal with it. The 308 Win shoots ok. I have had a hard time getting it to shoot as well as other barrels. Again these are carbon barrels with McGowen blanks.

I would not hesitate to do a Hart again. If doing a Remage like my RUM, I would do it again. If chambering with a gunsmith, I would choose a different route.

If going steel, can't go wrong with Hart, Bartlein, Broughton, etc., etc., etc....

I have had two Hart barrels. One on a 270 Win and one on a 300 WM (Ruger Tanger). Both shoot very well.

I currently have two Carbon Six barrels (McGowen blanks) a 308 Win and a 300 RUM. The RUM shoots very well, but shows pressure a little quicker with lower charge weights. Accuracy is good so I deal with it. The 308 Win shoots ok. I have had a hard time getting it to shoot as well as other barrels. Again these are carbon barrels with McGowen blanks.

I would not hesitate to do a Hart again. If doing a Remage like my RUM, I would do it again. If chambering with a gunsmith, I would choose a different route.

If going steel, can't go wrong with Hart, Bartlein, Broughton, etc., etc., etc....

Broughton barrels is no more sadly…

Defensive edge used hart on most of their builds…that says something

I'm waiting on my Hart barrel. Having a 25-06 in 8 twist made so I can shoot hammer bullets. Apparently they're running behind, but since I have several other rifles, it's no big deal waiting. I'm sure it will be well worth it.

I have a Carbon 6 being made right now in 7 Mag. They offer a 1/2 MOA guarente so if the 308 is not doing well you may be able to get a new barrel from them

Here's a picture of the last McGowen barrel I got
F033C3C6-9CCF-47AF-B929-4371E208A23E.jpeg

I recently ordered my first barrel to rebarrel my Rem 700 Sendero. I went with the Hart. All the research I did, I never saw a single negative on a Hart Barrel. I saw some negatives on McGowen. I don't have experience with the McGowen, and I am waiting on my Hart. I just know that I didn't ever see a review on a Hart that was negative or even neutral.

I am going to rebarrel my Ruger M77 MK II. Going from a 280 to 7 mag. I have narrowed it down to two barrel manufacture, Mcgowen or Hart. which one of the two would you go with? Thanks

I realize you didn't ask this question but if I'm not mistaken, the 280 is a .470 bolt face and the 7mm Magnum is a .540 so you need some bolt work done or a different bolt to make the change. Also, my vote is Hart given the two choices.