McGowen Barrels

sebell

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on McGowen barrels made in St Anne, Ill? Are any LR shooters using these barrels?

I bought a used rifle with a McGowen and have been very pleased. However, rebarrelling will be coming soon (this is my primary varmit rifle) and I was wondering if I should try another McGowen or someone else.

Viva lad

I am pretty sure that they are not a match grade barrel. As you can buy the best match grade for about $300 +- $50 depending on diameter and length. A lower quality barrel is still going to run about $150-200, the question is why not go for the best. Chambering is same cost, etc.

BH

I don't have any experance with the St Anne McGowen Barrels But I have had a bunch of Experance with the McGowen Built in Kallaspell MT They Flat shoot one fine Barrel Hope this helps DD

A freiend of mine built a couple 6mm br's with them on Savage actions. I am not sure which plant they came from. Since we are here in MT they were probably from Kalispel. But I had the pleasure to shoot them and they both were awesome shooters.

Jeff

I don't have any experance with the St Anne McGowen Barrels But I have had a bunch of Experance with the McGowen Built in Kallaspell MT They Flat shoot one fine Barrel Hope this helps DD

One of the problems here is that you drug this thread up from more than 7 years ago, the older McGowen barrels were a ***......IMO
I have heard since they moved to Montana that quality control has improved. it is not fair to compare a company from 2 different generations so perhaps you could start a fresh thread on this topic.
UB

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts