McGowen Barrels

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by sebell, Mar 21, 2003.

1. sebell

sebell Member

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on McGowen barrels made in St Anne, Ill? Are any LR shooters using these barrels?

I bought a used rifle with a McGowen and have been very pleased. However, rebarrelling will be coming soon (this is my primary varmit rifle) and I was wondering if I should try another McGowen or someone else.

2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Viva lad

I am pretty sure that they are not a match grade barrel. As you can buy the best match grade for about $300 +- $50 depending on diameter and length. A lower quality barrel is still going to run about $150-200, the question is why not go for the best. Chambering is same cost, etc.

BH

3. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan Member

I don't have any experance with the St Anne McGowen Barrels But I have had a bunch of Experance with the McGowen Built in Kallaspell MT They Flat shoot one fine Barrel Hope this helps DD

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

A freiend of mine built a couple 6mm br's with them on Savage actions. I am not sure which plant they came from. Since we are here in MT they were probably from Kalispel. But I had the pleasure to shoot them and they both were awesome shooters.

Jeff

5. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

The McGowen's I have used are shooting quite superb.

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  7. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

One of the problems here is that you drug this thread up from more than 7 years ago, the older McGowen barrels were a POS......IMO
    I have heard since they moved to Montana that quality control has improved. it is not fair to compare a company from 2 different generations so perhaps you could start a fresh thread on this topic.
    UB