mc: Qustions about what to shoot in my 25 06.

Michael Caplan

Live in Northern California. Haven't hunted big bore for 40 years. Lot's of birds though.
Just acquired a new Browning BRL 25 06 that I'm very excited about.
Have to get a scope for it. Probably a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40, but in the meantime mean to do some paperwork with the iron sights to get acquainted with the rifle.
Need to figure out what brand and weight of bullet to use for deer, big cats and critters I encounter walking around my son in-laws ranch in Caypay. Looking forward to pig and bear encounters in the future.
I'm intrigued by the TSX right ups. Partitions seem to be a good idea too.
A lot of comments on various threads about not needing Premium ammo. I plan to use factory ammo.
I look forward to some guidance from the more experienced shooters.
mc

Cheap Winchester 90 grain positive expanding points is what my browsing a bolt liked the best back when I had it years ago. Had a buddy that had a ruger. M77 and hid did really well with hornadys. I don't recall what grain though and that was well before these superformance loads the advertise now. If I were you, I'd buy two or three boxes of different brands and see if you rifle shoots one exeptionaly good. If not buy some of a different grain and shoot a couple more 5 shot groups compairing the two different brands. If your not happy with them then repeat with two more brands. I'll bet you find something that pleases u pretty quick before it starts cutting into your wallet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.