May have fallen victim to an Ebay scam 😕

So I buy a Steiner M7XI IFS 4-28x56 on Ebay..... price was right about what I would expect as I've seen places like Europtic clearing them out and marking them down...... Didn't think $5,200 was a far fetched price.

Anywho, I get the scope today THE M7XI (no IFS). I immediately contacted the seller, who blamed it on Steiner. Said he had Steiner fix a scope of his, he has been waiting and they must have sent HIS scope to me instead of the right one. Not sure if Steiner even direct-ships scopes..... maybe they do. Then gave me a story about how he had to quit shooting because of his lung cancer (could be legit; if so I'm a horrible human being)........

Long story short he said he called Steiner and they will be contacting me tomorrow to make it right. I highly doubt it. At this point I'm not even confident that what I was shipped was an actual Steiner..... maybe some Chinese knockoff. Guess we'll know soon enough but it certainly appears like I'll be out of $5,200 🤦‍♂️
Ebay has a buyer protection policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/...ion policy&lucenceai=lucenceai&docId=HELP1238

I got a fake Zeiss scope. It had dust spot on the inside of the lens sent it to Zeiss they sent it back with a note it was a fake the seller was a ghost. eBay wanted to know how I new it was a fake I sent them a screenshot of the letter . They had me send it back to seller using the tracking number my money was refunded. The funny part is 2weeks later the scope was returned because it could not be delivered
Your diligence paid off here, Congrats!

By now that Z knockoff has probably been checked out, is it a keeper or just pretty junk?

So I buy a Steiner M7XI IFS 4-28x56 on Ebay..... price was right about what I would expect as I've seen places like Europtic clearing them out and marking them down...... Didn't think $5,200 was a far fetched price.

Anywho, I get the scope today THE M7XI (no IFS). I immediately contacted the seller, who blamed it on Steiner. Said he had Steiner fix a scope of his, he has been waiting and they must have sent HIS scope to me instead of the right one. Not sure if Steiner even direct-ships scopes..... maybe they do. Then gave me a story about how he had to quit shooting because of his lung cancer (could be legit; if so I'm a horrible human being)........

Long story short he said he called Steiner and they will be contacting me tomorrow to make it right. I highly doubt it. At this point I'm not even confident that what I was shipped was an actual Steiner..... maybe some Chinese knockoff. Guess we'll know soon enough but it certainly appears like I'll be out of $5,200 🤦‍♂️
Doesn't Ebay have buyer protection ? I think they'll make it right if you were scammed. PayPal won't unless it's a Goods and services purchase then your covered by Ebay AND PayPal.

Just now I've finished up a couple hours of phone & online manuevering necessitated by PP caused problems; their customer service is, imo, not only more time consuming but also per se _worse_ than fleBay...

Interaction with Synchrony Bank, or their asset PayPal, can result in some significant wastes of your time: Caveat emptor definitely applies here!

As both a buyer and seller, my preference is dealing with eBay as vastly preferable.

The scope buyer's issue WAS resolved by eBay and it appeared to me as if he got a freebie knockoff scope for his troubles: Hope he tells us itza goodun!