May 25th 2019 prairie dogs

bigdaddyWSM

Went out with my son to a unpressured PD town & stayed all day, 75°, light west winds 6-10 mph. Most shots were only 250 on in. His rifle a Savage .223 bedded in a Boyds thumbhole with Athlon 4.5-27x50I scope. Mine is a Savage .204 Ruger in Bell & Carlson varmint with Vortex 6-24x50 Strike eagle scope. Gratuitous gutted pd pic enclosed. View attachment 135491

Perfect calibers for the work you did. Guessing the pups aren't out quit yet. Bold to gather them up with the plague being about recently. About three weeks until my turn at them, I will live vicariously through others trips/posts until then. Thanks for sharing.

I'm heading to Colorado June 10-11 for a dog hunt. How many rounds do you figure you guys went through?

Well I've got about 2300 for four of us for two days I honestly hope we come back without a single loaded round

If you apply yourselves, you can get all those brass powder storage vessels emptied! You will have to make a good effort to do it in 2 days. Good luck, let us know how you do. Take pics...I never remember to take pics!

All the rain out west has made for some tall grass. Be ready for frustration from that. About like whack-a mole waiting for the little devils to stand up.

Ditto on fooling with rodent carcasses, gloves or not. And, I hear tell of guys crawling around in the towns. Not for me, ants, cactus, rattle snakes, and plenty of pdog feces, no thanks I will shoot from the edges.

Well I've got about 2300 for four of us for two days I honestly hope we come back without a single loaded round

Depends on what you get into and what kind of shooters you are. If you have a couple of young guys on AR's you could run short.

I shot with 2 other guys on private ground for 4 days. I took five rifles for me and went through 700 or so rounds. Kill/hit rate was about 70%, range was from 20 yards to 600, never shot the same town twice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.