maximum pressure rifle

Brass is definitely the limiting factor.
I wonder how many of us are at 70k plus, on loads that shoot very well, and are exceeding the load book. I'm guilty of it to, I'm not calling anybody out, but maybe myself.
We all had that one load, where ES and SDs are very low, but after 5 firings, we can't figure out why the primer slipped in like throwing a pop can down a hallway. ;)

I have had several rifles that the more I pushed them, the better they shot. at some point I had to except the accuracy at safe pressures.

Velocity can be addictive especially if accuracy is improving, and I found out that other components suffer in this environment. When I started blowing primers almost every shot and cutting the bolt face.
I decided to re think my decisions, I decided if I needed the velocity, I would ether improve the case capacity, or go to a bigger cartridge that would hold more slower burning powder and longer barrels.

This accomplished the goal for more velocity, without sacrificing components. Interestingly enough though they never shot any better
and in some cases the short barreled rifles out shot them accurately with less velocity.

So I came to the conclusion that If "I" wanted an extremely accurate rifle and didn't need scorching velocities, I build short, heavy barreled rifles. If I build a long range rifle I will use a large cartridge
capable of upper end velocities at 63,000 max pressures, with long heavy barrels. (I consider long barrels as 26'' to 32'' depending on the cartridge and contour, and short barrels 18'' to 22'' ) And on sporter rifles I compromise with 22' to 26'' light weight barrels.

As I have said many times, Don't ask a cartridge to do more than it was designed for without excepting the issues that come with that decision.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

I have seen...the...."Velocity"...at all cost mentality....thankfully the rifle could be fixed and only their pride suffered....

You can get closer :)

When you do load development,
Are you going up grains until there are signs of pressure, even if it is the maximum in the book ?, or upload to the maximum of the manual?

Are you going up grains until there are signs of pressure, even if it is the maximum in the book ?, or upload to the maximum of the manual?
The amount of bullet jump to lands will vary pressure in your load vs what the manual says. I've always equated less jump with more pressure. If your seating bullet at saami length then manual should be quite close for pressure

I use the manuals as a guide, even for max, but not an absolute. I do my work up the same for a factory round as for all my wildcats. That said, most manuals are conservative for a reason but I have seen loads out of manuals that were too hot for my rifle.

I use the manuals as a guide, even for max, but not an absolute. I do my work up the same for a factory round as for all my wildcats. That said, most manuals are conservative for a reason but I have seen loads out of manuals that were too hot for my rifle.
Was that at Sammi oal?

I hardly use the manuals anymore because I'm not loading for average hunting scenarios. However U have only had one instance of overpressure using book loads. That was in a short throated Savage. I started to notice the problem in the workup. So aborted before primers blew.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.