maximum cartridge overall length feed Remington 700 long action magazine

drpbroun5

What is the maximum cartridge overall length (base to tip) that will fit and feed out of a standard Remington 700 long action magazine? I want to load Berger Hybrid bullets in my 300WM as well as in my 300 Super (30/8mmRemMag). Both have standard magazines. I will use both rifles for hunting thus need to use the mag. I contacted Remington and they did not have or would not give the measurement. Go figure?
Thanks.
Paul

My floor plate on my 700 in 300 rum is 3.64. So that should give you a good idea. Thats why so many guys here on running the Wyatt extended boxes. Not enough room to load your cases close to the rifling. I believe the Wyatt Magazine allows coal of 3.825

Thanks, Big John. How much clearance is needed for a round to feed prpoerly? What must be done to install a Wyatt box? Thank you!
Paul

Bros Jeff has been doing a lot with the 300 win . Go back and read some of his posted loading the Bergers. He is the pro. I am still learning.There are a bunch of knowledgeable guys on here. I have been lurking on this site for years. I am finally brave enough to post. ;-)There are different Wyatt boxes for your gun. Go to their web site. Some only need a little trimming of your stock. Still not sure , if you have your gun ? Or you are loading into your stock magazine well? Or if your Remington has a removable magazine?
I have been loading to my magazine wells length . My gun smith has always had me doing that instead of off the rifling. I have been shooting 168 gr Barnes TTSX and their are long. I just found some 230 gr Bergers. Just waiting for the mailman to drop them off. Hopefully they are not as long as my Barnes. So I have been measuring and getting ready to messure the Bergers. To see how far I can or how close I can load them off my rifling. I here the hybrids aren't as sensitive. so we will see.

I have the rifles. They both have blind magazines. It is difficult to measure them with calipers due to the trigger guard being in the way.
Bros's posts are stellar. I greatly appreciate the research and then the effort to get the information out for us. I praise The Lord for him.
You might want to look at some of the information that Berger puts out regarding getting their VLD bullets to shoot accurately. Alot of folks have found that they shoot best when seated 0.020 to 0.120" off the lands. This is what I have read here on LRH and on Berger's web site. I'm just before loading my first Bergers, so I'll find out soon.

With the stock mag box I think it is. 3.62 with a COAL of ~.005 short of that.

With a Wyatt's I you get longer but right now I don't remember exact. I'll have to check but I know some of my 300RUM loads go 3.85". Can't remember if they fit.

Wyatt's has one more box that requires some smithing that can go longer. I have it, I have not installed it in anything yet.

Thanks, jfseaman. This gives me a good starting place in seating some Berger bullets for my rifles.

3.680 will feed in several of mine. Its what I go with when starting to see if they will touch lands.

Hello, I was inquiring how one would/could go about using a cartridge with a 4.00"-4.20" C.O.A.L. in a Remington 700 Action. Would an extended box magazine work, or is it even possible? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

375rifleman

Hello, I was inquiring how one would/could go about using a cartridge with a 4.00"-4.20" C.O.A.L. in a Remington 700 Action. Would an extended box magazine work, or is it even possible? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

375rifleman
Pretty sure your chamber is not that long.. I shoot the 215 in my Remington long range hunter 300 win and the furthest I can seat them out to feed from magazine is 3.640 this is with a BDL floor plate.. I am .050 from the lands.. 76.5 grains of H-1000 and fed 215 primer.. Deadly combo..

If you truly want to go as long as you have stated you will need to get with a Gun smith and have some modifications done to your gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.