max safe vel 300 rum 200 gr bullet?

rufous

What would be the maximum safe achievable velocity for a 300 Rem ultra mag and a 200 grain bullet from a 26" barrel? Thanks, Rufous.

We have pushed the Berger VLD 210 grain behind 100 grains of H1000 at 3300 fps.
Barrel length is 34 inches however.

I heard something about that but don't know any specifics. I do know there is something up, however, since Hodgon's site says there won't be any Retumbo available for this hunting season. What ever it was, it cost them a ton of sales....

BTW, I checked my notes and I got 116.3 grains of water with a once-fired, non-resized 300 RUM case filled to the mouth. For the sake of comparison, I got 92.5 in a 300 Win Mag case (that was WW brass, however).

And dammit, now that I know about it, I can't stand the suspense! I want to play with this new Nosler now!

Thanks. That is right at where I thought, after using a formula by John Barsness. I figured RUM cases capacity at 112 grains and 300 Win Mag capacity at 90 grains. I shoot the 300 Win Mag and get 3000 fps from the 200 grain Nosler. Barsness said that velocity difference will likely be 25% of the case capacity difference. So since the RUM is 24% bigger in case capacity it should give 6% higher velocity which would be 3180 fps. Rufous.

This might become a popular question with that new Nosler comming out.
wink.gif

My figures are showing about 3250 for a "theoretical" maximum out of a 26" barrel. I will give it a try if that bullet is available by this summer.

I'm thinking Retumbo might be just what the doctor ordered for this weight. Anybody have Retumbo loads for 200's?

BTW, I'll have to double check my notes when I get home tonight, but I'm pretty sure when I measured case capacity of one of my fired 300 RUM cases it was 116 grains of water. I'll have to double check....

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Jon A ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.