max point blank range or zero at 200

soundwaves

just wonderin guys. what you guys set your scopes to max point blank range or zero at 200? (for hunting from 0 yards to 500 yards)

Lots of guys run elevation turrets of some sort of ballistic reticle on their scopes. I do a little of both but I also have a 257 Weatherby that will be zeroed at 300 yards for deer next fall. Still have to shoot to verify but at 12X the lower duplex of my reticle should make a handy aiming point for 500 yards and hold pretty much dead on out to 400.

I like to keep the top of my trajectory to about 3 inches. In my two LR rifles, 300 RUM and 25-06, I am getting 3400 fps which allows me to zero @ 300 yds which give me just less than 3" high @ 175 yds. With this zero I can hold on top of back @ 400 or about 2-3 MOA over at 500 yds (or dial). Less than 3300 fps and I zero @ 250 yds.

Zero mine 300yrd. Bulls eye zero, that works for most of my shots, then i just compensate with turret from there out to my max distance, where i hunt that is around 800.

I zero my flat shooters at 300 but I think a lot depends on what your intended target is and what other system you are using on your optics.....Rich

I zero my 300 rum @ 100 yards that's a lazered 100 yrds I'm good to 300, then I go to my dell past that :)

Bigbuck

I zero at 200 yards and dial for everything past that.
I always zero mine at 300 that way I know from 0 to 300 is covered with no issues. My .257 Weatherby is zero'd at 300, and 7mm STW is zero'd at 100...fixing to be 300 in a few weeks.

I zero the 708 @ 100yards. The first mildot gets me to 300yards, the second mildot to 425yards and the third to 525 yards. This system works a lot better for me than PBR.

I zero all of my rifles at 300yds. From 0 to 350, I "play it by ear" and just hold under, dead on, or slightly over. Most bullets starting out with a muzzle velocity of 3000fps + don't drop much out to 350yds. From 350 on out I dial it in. JohnnyK.

I use many ballistic and rangefinding reticles for long-range shooting, and i never sacrifice point blank range to make a reticle an intuitive system (even hundred yd. intervals). I always calculate MPBR conservatively for no more than 3/4ths anticipated tgt. size. The reticle zeros are calcd. and tested usually at the optic's (2FP) highest power.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.