Max load, new barrel break-in

.284me

Hello,

I'm looking for some experience and or opinions on tuning a load for a new barrel. My first custom rifle will be done here shortly and i want to break it in properly, if there is really such a thing. It is chambered in 6.5-284, Lilja Tactical contour, 1-8" twist, built on a 1965 Winchester push feed action. I will be shooting the Berger 140 VLD hunting bullet. I plan on using Eric Steckers method to tune these bullets with varying seating depth but that requires a known maximum safe working pressure/powder charge. My question for you guys is it ok to look for that max load during break in? Cleaning between shots like you would normally break in a barrel. Or should I designate the first 20 rounds to low charge, break in only rounds? Thoughts, opinions, procedures? Thanks!

Personally I would designate my first 20 rounds to break-in, but not at unusually slow speeds. Just load up a normal load and shoot them. Shoot at a target and watch your group form, you will probably notice that as the cleaning process becomes easier, your group will start getting smaller. After that, tinker all you want. Just my opinion.

Hello,

I'm looking for some experience and or opinions on tuning a load for a new barrel. My first custom rifle will be done here shortly and i want to break it in properly, if there is really such a thing. It is chambered in 6.5-284, Lilja Tactical contour, 1-8" twist, built on a 1965 Winchester push feed action. I will be shooting the Berger 140 VLD hunting bullet. I plan on using Eric Steckers method to tune these bullets with varying seating depth but that requires a known maximum safe working pressure/powder charge. My question for you guys is it ok to look for that max load during break in? Cleaning between shots like you would normally break in a barrel. Or should I designate the first 20 rounds to low charge, break in only rounds? Thoughts, opinions, procedures? Thanks!

I like to use the break in rounds to obtain all the usable data that I can. When I start with a fresh barrel, I already know that there are only going to be so many rounds that I can shoot through that barrel before I have to rebarrel or rechamber (set it back) that particular barrel so I try to utilize every round that goes down the tube. Especially on my 6.5-284's, they are bad throat eroders, usually no more than 1100 to 1200 rounds before they have to be rechambered. By the end of the break in period, I have my max pressure for the particular projectile that I plan to shoot and I have already started to collect and document data that I can use for fine tuning the load... just my opinion though, BK.

Thanks guys! I am planning on shooting through the chrony, sighting in, and checking for level crosshairs while breaking it in. I will try to collect as much data as i can during this process. The barrel is finished at 27" so I'm thinking I will try to shoot for the 2,950-3,000 fps area rather than trying to look for max pressure signs, and then adjust seating depth for accuracy. What do you guys think? What kind of velocity are you getting with similar components?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.