max effective range for 7mm-08

Must be the gun. I use 42 grains of varget, any more than that and my accuracy goes away.
I'm happy with the load anyways, and have the gun figured out to 600 yards.
A little more speed might be a nice addition, but it's so hard to find powder, I'll stick with varget.

The two best powders that I have found for my 7/08s have been H414 and Varget. I found a node with varget that did not shoot well (40 to 44 grains) once I got past this It came right in.

I kept bumping it up until I saw pressure signs and backed of 1 grain. (Accuracy was better
and better the higher I went) but had to settle for the best it would do at first sign of pressure.
(Note) I set the bullets back .040 thousandths shorter than the Mag length to add some free bore
and lower the pressure. This did nor hurt accuracy, in fact the best group with this set up was
.053 5 shots @ 100 yards.

The most accurate load was with 49.5 grains of H414 and a 120 grain ballistic tip @ 3010 in a
22" barrel.

J E CUSTOM

+1 for what Mark said.

It's not that a hunter can't succeed beyond "recommended" ranges. They are just that, recommended.

I would venture many if not most on this forum can have one shot kills beyond recommended range for the caliber+bullet+velocity+impact+expansion but the rules for recommendation stay the same.

My Renimgton R25 in 7mm08 is set up for 500 yards using either 140SST's or Ballistic Tips. I'm getting 2725 FPS being limited to the 20" barrel, and AR10 action for COAL. I get best accuracy with Varget.

I'm having one built right now to shoot the 150 long range accubond. If I can get 2850 from it, I will still have 1000 ft/lb of energy at 900 yards.

I have a 7/08 and a 7/08 AI. The pet load for the 7/08 will exceed 3100 ft/sec with a 120 grain bullet, And the 7/08 AI will push a 150 grain 2950 + ft/sec with normal pressures. I could probably push the AI to near 3000 ft/sec but I don't like max loads. I would be interested to hear what the 180's did Mud if you don't mind. I have never tried bullets over 160's in ether 7/08.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.