Max COAL with 180 VLD

jweigel

Does this seem to be in the ballpark. I am using 180 Hunting VLDs. Gun is a Rem Sendero, all stock. I get 3.166 to the Ogive using a Hornady kit. Made up a dummy round seated around 3.168 and I see land marks on it when I chamber so I know that number is very close.

Question is I measure 2.990 to the Ogive for mag length....seated the bullet to made legnth (max overall) then measured to the ogive. That woudl be around .180 off the lands for magizine length. Seems like a lot????

Thanks for any help.

jjw
ND

I'd put the bullet at the oal that the rifle likes, with magazine length one of the first things I try. I do NOT worry about jump; I am aware of it, but I've gotten rifles to cloverleaf at 100 yards at 1/2" jump (7rums) so a .180" jump isn't terribly bad. You can still drop one in the mag on a remmy and let the bullet tip stick into the feed ramp if you are just a bit long.

I've just got my first STW and have been working on loads for it too. I had the same questions a few weeks ago and had very similar results that you are finding.

Using both a dummy round and the Hornady OAL guage, I found my measurement to the lands to be 3.208. My magazine holds an OAL of 3.750, I reduced to 3.740 just to make sure I'll clear consistently. This leads to a measurement to the ogive of 3.020".

3.208 - 3.020 = .188 jump to lands to fit in mag with .010 clearance.

I am shooting the hybrids instead of the VLDs, which from what I read are less sensitive to jump. I haven't finished testing the load yet and longer ranges, but at 200 yards it was shooting in the .3s at 2995fps.

For my purposes, .3s that fit in a mag are more useful then .1s or .2s that don't.

Thanks for comments guys. I had the Berger seating depth FAQ in mind when I load the first rounds. That is what I plan on working on first before powder loads.

paparickzi...what gun do you have that has a mag length that long?

jjw
ND

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.