Mauser 98 vs Rem 700???

Well I just have to jump in...even though I only own one Remington bolt gun.

But I have a pile of mausers. Just added two rifles that my dad built for his brother back in the late 60's. I got them when he passed. I built 5 last year, I have my dad's Argentine actioned 25-06 he built for him self and my Mark X he built me in the early 70's.

I know of one guy who built a 7mm wsm on the Argentine action that shoots .3's all day long. Mine don't shoot that good but the game I shoot don't know the difference between a .5 rifle and a .3!

20170904_205035.jpg

This is my latest mauser build. 300wm...it's kind of tricked out.
Timmeny trigger
Custom made Winchester style safety
26" SS bull barrel by Douglas
CDI bottom metal
EGW base
Vortex 30mm rings
16x SWFA scope (not the scope in picture)
Stock: cut the mesquite tree down my self, dried it, had Richards Microfit cut my blank. I did all the fit and finish work my self too.
I turned the bolt my self and did most of the work myself.

This bad boy weighs in at 15+lbs though!

It shoots great out to 600yds...longest range I have access to.

Now I'm into building on Savage actions. I have a 300wsm build on a SS SA. It's a lot closer to the weight your talking about.

I like Mausers, better safety, you can put the round from the chamber back into the magazine without jacking it out of the action, and good triggers are easy to come by. I have owned a bunch of Remington 700's though none now. This action can be built into a lighter rifle because it is lighter. Lock time is faster and they can be built into more accurate rifles but all of my Mausers, a 280AI, a 35 Whelen, a 7x57 and a 308 are all better than MOA shooters. I do like the controlled round feeding but I never had an issue with a Remington getting a round into the chamber after it was tuned a bit. If I was building a varmint rifle no doubt it would be a Remington but a big game rifle a Mauser or Springfield it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.