Mauser 98 trigger and Gentry safety install

cgarb

Hello,
Working on my Mauser 98 tinker project. I just got my Gentry 3 position safety and was working on getting it fitted. I cut the notch in the bolt for the bolt lock and put everything together with the bold trigger. Everything works as it should except if you pull the trigger with the safety on when taking the safety off the striker will fall. Reading the Gentry instructions, they talk about removing metal from the cocking piece on a 30deg angle. To me this seems like the opposite of my problem. Seems like the cocking piece is hung up on the sear and when you flip the safety lever it falls into place without pulling the cocking piece away from the sear. I think I need to remove metal from the cocking piece where the sear contacts so it will move further forward allowing the safety to pull the pressure off the sear. Sorry if that's confusing but I don't know how else to explain. I have a gunsmith friend I can take it to, but was just trying to figure it out on my own. Worst case Mauser parts are relatively cheap and easy to find.

Got it! Took a trip down the road to my mentor gunsmith. He's getting up there in age, can't do a whole bunch but his advice and wisdom is worth more than he knows. It was just as I thought, I had to grind material off the cocking piece to make it work, but I also had to grind the 30deg angle as the paperwork stated because the small 45deg corner made the safety lever work very stiff. After both adjustments were made the safety operated just as it should.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.