Mauser 98 actions

Pa Grizz

I just happen to see on another site where some people were talking about rebarreling 98 actions to 7mm and 300 win mags.One person was saying if you make one into a magnum in time the bolt will seat back alittle causing headspace problems.I hope this is not so because I have one in 7mag and one in 300 win mag.Anyone have any thoughts on this

I just happen to see on another site where some people were talking about rebarreling 98 actions to 7mm and 300 win mags.One person was saying if you make one into a magnum in time the bolt will seat back alittle causing headspace problems.I hope this is not so because I have one in 7mag and one in 300 win mag.Anyone have any thoughts on this
Roy Weatherby used Mauser actions before the Mark V.

Is it possible, sure. Others who have witnessed it.

I plan on using a Mauser to make an 8mm/26-Nosler.

The large ring Mauser is more than capable of handling the 7 mag and the 300 win mag pressures.
(55,000 CUPs) I don't recommend using any older action for the "New" High pressure rounds (65,000 PSI +) not because they couldn't handle the pressure but because they were not designed
for it. NOTE: any action can experience set back if fed lots of excessive pressure loads.

There were a few years (Near the end of the 2nd world war) that proof testing was discontinued
and they should be avoided). The Mauser guys can chime in on these actions.

I would also not recommend the Small ring Mauser for Magnums.

The large ring Mauser can make a fine rifle and a very accurate one if well assembled and a premium
custom barrel is part of the build.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

The 1898 Mauser action is rated for cartridges that operate in the 62K PSI range with a bolt face dia of .473 which means it's designed to withstand about 3467 pounds of thrust.

The 300 Win Mag requires a bolt face of .532 and operates a little hotter at 64K PSI. That yields a bolt thrust of 4528 pounds, about a 30% increase.

Premium Mauser actions may withstand this increase but I'd absolutely stay away from any war time production actions and measure headspace at regular intervals.

The large ring Mauser is more than capable of handling the 7 mag and the 300 win mag pressures.
(55,000 CUPs) I don't recommend using any older action for the "New" High pressure rounds (65,000 PSI +) not because they couldn't handle the pressure but because they were not designed
for it. NOTE: any action can experience set back if fed lots of excessive pressure loads.

There were a few years (Near the end of the 2nd world war) that proof testing was discontinued
and they should be avoided). The Mauser guys can chime in on these actions.

I would also not recommend the Small ring Mauser for Magnums.

The large ring Mauser can make a fine rifle and a very accurate one if well assembled and a premium
custom barrel is part of the build.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Both of the ones I have are large ring mausers and have Douglas Supreme barrels

Tens of thousands, if not hundreds or thousands of large ring '98 Mausers have been barreled up/ converted to std. length magnum cartriges, like the .300 Win. Mag, 7mm Rem. Mag, .338 Win. Mag, .264 Win. Mag and 458 Win. Mag. Over the past 20 yrs., or so, I've seen some that have set back at the lug engagements, but most are OK. You have to remember, there were many different makers, not just the Mauser Werks. The steel and heat treatment are not the same as we expect of modern manufacture. WWII production rifles can be pretty rough. I don't even look at a post 1939 war time manufacture rifle except as a collector. Known manufacture is important,,,, Steyr, Mauser Werks (Oberndorf), DWM, CZ, FN. Although, those that I've seen that have set back are in that list. Many variations to be found world wide. Old technology, not to be 'hot rodded'. If it sets back, you'll know it. The bolt lift (if it can be lifted) won't be normal.

Tens of thousands, if not hundreds or thousands of large ring '98 Mausers have been barreled up/ converted to std. length magnum cartriges, like the .300 Win. Mag, 7mm Rem. Mag, .338 Win. Mag, .264 Win. Mag and 458 Win. Mag. Over the past 20 yrs., or so, I've seen some that have set back at the lug engagements, but most are OK. You have to remember, there were many different makers, not just the Mauser Werks. The steel and heat treatment are not the same as we expect of modern manufacture. WWII production rifles can be pretty rough. I don't even look at a post 1939 war time manufacture rifle except as a collector. Known manufacture is important,,,, Steyr, Mauser Werks (Oberndorf), DWM, CZ, FN. Although, those that I've seen that have set back are in that list. Many variations to be found world wide. Old technology, not to be 'hot rodded'. If it sets back, you'll know it. The bolt lift (if it can be lifted) won't be normal.

To Pa Grizz, This is ''one'' of the guys (Experts)I had hoped would chime in. He knows the 98 Mausers a lot better than I, and can help you decide.

I think they are great actions, but they do have there limits.

J E CUSTOM

The Yugoslavian Zastava made MK X, Whitworth, Parker-Hale, Charles Daly, etc. commercial actions and complete rifles were made in many calibers, including H & H lengths... the .375 being the largest long action caliber I've seen.

The military rifles made in Germany in the late 30's and early 40's are capable of handling std. length magnums, but bear watching for setback. Also, they were built for non-magnum cases and probably wouldn't feed belted magnums without opening the frame rails and maybe changing the bullet follower. Many of the post war commercial actions and rifles were already set up for belted magnum cases and feeding is not a problem with them.

It's just my opinion, but German battle rifles dated later than 1943 shouldn't be used for custom builds at all. I think of '44 and '45 dated rifles as "last ditch", and as collectibles and wall-hangers. By 1944/'45, the arsenals were being bombed day and night, and used many slave laborers who reportedly hoped the rifles would fail.

The large ring Mauser action is still a great design, and with modern steel, can make very fine rifles, including std. magnums.

I have examined one CZ 550M action, and believe it could handle even the "boomer" calibers. It is large, heavy, and long. The inside magazine box length was 3.9", (1/10th of an inch longer than a 9 lug MK V Weatherby)..... Side by side with a std large ring '98, it dwarfs them.

I like Mauser actions, but am selective about owning and shooting them.

Tom

Although all manufacturers of 98's have had set back issues, the one that I have witnessed more than others is the 1909 Argentine action, it is soft. One of the hardest are VZ 24 actions made by Brno/CZ, generally speaking. The most uniform in hardness across the board are Obendorf actions, in my experience.

Cheers.
gun)

I have converted two 1908 Braz Mausers to 7mmRM.
I have converted a VZ24 from 8mm to 300WM
I have converted a VZ24 from 7mm to 7mmRM

The magazine needs to feed 3.34" cartridges, so I either mill out the magazine or buy one.
The bolt face needs to be opened up.
The extractor needs to be relieved.
The feed lips of the receiver need to be relieved. There is a drawing showing how to do this in Walsh's book.
They are out of print and cost $200 now, but I can email you the drawing.

VZ247mmRM.jpg

VZ24 7mmRM Lothar Walther Bansner stock kahles scope

My first "custom" built rifle was a 7mm Remington Magnum on a VZ24 sporterized Mauser. It's been to Africa with me now 6 times and always a favorite.