Mauser 98/ ackley what do I have

azwhitey

I have a a custom 270 that is build on a mauser 98 action. The barrel is stamped "po ackley slc UT. I assume that it is a Ackley barrel. It is stamped "cal 270" My questions are, is it a regular 270 or a 270 ackley improved. also, what is it worth? Is it worth more because it has the ackley barrel? How would I know if PO Ackley built it, or is it just a barrel that his company built??

Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Whitey

Whitey,

If it is a true Ackley cartridge, Which it looks like it is. It'll fire a factory .270 Winchester cartridge without any issues of safety or feeding. They'll be a little tight as the cartridge will headspace on the neck/shoulder Juncture.

Shoot the cartridge and then it'll fireform to the chamber. Compare the case to a factory .270 winchester. It'll probablly have a nice 40 degree shoulder and minimum case taper.

The rifle seems to be a true P.O. Ackley rifle. they are true Gems and I only see a few around today. P.O.'s shop wasn't huge, so it's very likley that he installed the barrel.

P.O. Ackley never made barrels, just chambered and installed them. The gun is worth quite a bit to those who shoot Wildcat or Improved cartridges. Not so much to the "run of the mill" shooter or hunter. It also depends on the rifles condition and also bore condition. Some of these older Ackleys were shot with really hot loads which decreased barrel life.

Take it to a good 'smith and have them figure the value, For me, I'd say it was un-replaceable and money wouldn't be a factor.

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan. I will take it to a gunsmith this week. The gun was used for hunting for the last 30 years, but shot very little.
Thanks for the input.
Whitey

The safe and accurate way to know what chamber you have is to make a chamber cast using Cerrosafe alloy. Then you can measure the shoulder diameter, shoulder angle, and even the freebore.

You can get Cerrosafe alloy from Brownells or Midwayusa. Search this site for how to make chamber casts. It's not difficult.

I have to admit, Lou is correct, Cerrosafe is the safest way to identify a cartridge. And the added benifit of free bore measurement is also helpful.

But the fact that this is a P.O. Ackley built rifle severely limits the possibility that it other than two possibilities, a .270 Winchester, or a .270 Ackley Improved. That being the case, a .270 Win Chambered or fired in either chamber is completely safe. However, where this is a unknown rifle Lou's suggestion merits consideration and you should probablly go that route.

Your Gunsmith should be able to do this for you as well for a minimal fee.

Good call Lou!

Dan

I have a a custom 270 that is build on a mauser 98 action. The barrel is stamped "po ackley slc UT. I assume that it is a Ackley barrel. It is stamped "cal 270" My questions are, is it a regular 270 or a 270 ackley improved. also, what is it worth? Is it worth more because it has the ackley barrel? How would I know if PO Ackley built it, or is it just a barrel that his company built??

Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Whitey

Hard to say how much your rifle is worth and you are right it more than likey has one of Ackley made barrel on that rifle. I read something on Bellm site that some guy who does rebores (J E S Rifle Reboring) has Ackley old barrel making equipment and Mike Bellm was Ackley son-inlaw.

Actually Mike Bellm has an active website and the last I understood he bought all of Parkers machines and the van containing those barrel making machines still sits in Grants Pass Oregon.

Depending on condition this little jewel may have some interest out there with collectors. I would have no idea on its worth without having it in hand.

Neal

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I am going to sell this rifle. I will post it in the classified add section in the next few days. I am not trying to retire on this rifle, but want to sell it for fair market value. If anyone is interested please feel free to contact me and we can work something out.
Thanks again.
Whitey

My guess is, it is a standard 270 win.

I rebarreled one of his rifles that was a standard 270, and I am sure had he chambered an Improved version he would have stamped at a minimum "imp" after the 270 win.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts