Matrix Bullets??

Tikkamike

I just happened to go over and check out Matrix bullets and I cant really believe what I am seeing. why are these not more popular? they have a 168 7mm bullet with a .710 BC and a lot of other good offerings, not only that they are inexpensive. So why are more people not using them? not a lot of people know about them? hard to get? something wrong with them? I would really like to know what you guys know about them

Bigngreen shoots a lot of them out of his 270 WSM and has reported lots of good results with the 165 grain bullet. I'm sure he'll reply with his input.

I just called the guy and was a little broken hearted, his VLD bullets arent bonded and the advertised bc is static not G1, but its still pretty good. I i want to know more.

I shoot the 210gr .30 caliber bullets out of my .30-8mm Mag at 3100fps and they are stupid accurate. I shot a .96" 3 shot group at 550yds with them. At 250yds they out shot the Bergers by a good margin. I also shot a cow elk with one about a week ago at 400yds and a friend shot a bull earlier in the year with them at 612yds. I haven't had time to check the BC compared to the drop but out to 550yds it was dead on from a 300yd zero. Most people say the BC is over stated. If you look at the published BC it says "static" next to it so it could be overinflated by a bit.

I just called the guy and was a little broken hearted, his VLD bullets arent bonded and the advertised bc is static not G1, but its still pretty good. I i want to know more.

You beat me to it Mike, I was thinking about the Static BC (i've talked to him too) while reading the thread. I was really salivating about the 6mm 117grn VLD with .650 (or something) BC, couple that with me 6-284 & Wa-hoo!

Dang, only Static BC, who knows, maybe I'll give'em a try anyway.gun)

Marshall informed me that they won't stand up to 8 twist, 3 groove, 270 Allen Mag velocities.

bc is real decent for the 277 offerings that bng is shooting @ around .650, if I recall correctly.

All reports that I have garnered are plenty positive.

The 0.060" meplat is a bit large in appearance.

I think more people would try them if there was more tech info on the website. I did email him about the twist rates needed for my 243 ( 105)and 7 mag (168). Said that a 9 twist will stabilize each. I'll give them a try during the spring.

I've been super happy with the Matrix bullets but we've only shot the 270 cal 165's and 175's, going to run some 6.5's and 30 cals next year. Availability has been great, order on Monday shoot them that weekend. Quality seems good, though I don't tend to be the type that sorts through bullets, the first couple hundred were so good I stopped measuring.
The meplats are very uniform compared to other similar bullets which I think made a huge difference for hunting, jacket is a J4 so they are very similar to the Berger, seem to be super mild to load for and not picky though the design is not as aggressive as some.
BC is lower than calculated but that's no surprise, the only thing it's useful for is to give a guy an idea of how the bullets compare to each other within a line. It would be helpful if he included twist rates.

This year between me and a couple buddies we put 12 on elk and 5 on deer if I remember right, from 85 yards to 865 yards from a 270 WSM and a couple 270 Wins. All wound channels were very consistent no matter the angle of shot, up close they did well but did come apart but no evidence that you could make one splash wound, even the closest shot on elk spine they obliterated two vertebra. On the longer shots basically puts a hole in and a 2-3 inch hole clean through them. Both shots at 865 went clean through with ease, the second hit went through the lower on side shoulder cleanly braking it and blowing a hole in the lungs and exiting in front of the of shoulder.

The only 7mm I have after getting a 270 WSM is a 7mm RUM but with the 270 and the 175 Matrix it's just not worth loading the 7RUM unless I could get my hands on a pile of 200gr Wildcats. But for now my WSM out performs my 7RUM and doing it with 20+gr less of Retumbo. May try the 190 Matrix but they would have to shoot super good to get the RUM any field time.

That my 2 cents!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.