Matchkings for hunting??

Wapi-T

I am interested to hear of some of your experiences using the matchking bullets for hunting. How well do they work? Anybody have problems with terminal performance?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Many of us use the Sierra Match Kings for hunting and have for years.
We found long ago that they are extremely efficient killing bullets for deer and elk.

Would I use them on a Grizz or a Water Buff, NO.

I use them In my 6.5/300 (140 Gr) Weatherby, 7/300 (168 gr) Weatherby, 30/378 Weatherby (200 gr, 220, gr and 240 Gr MK) and the 338/416 Rigby (300 Gr) they work fine and kill even better.

I also use them in my 264 Mag, 6.5 Gibbs, and 7mm mag in LR carry guns.

Darryl Cassel

I've used MatchKings in several calibers on various critters.

The 6mm 107 grain MatchKing on probably close to 50 deer and have had spectacular performance, not one problem.

The .338 caliber 300 grain MatchKing on deer and moose. One shot kills on all, I have pictures of the terminal results and recovered bullets, very impressive.

The .224 69 grain MatchKing on deer, again no problem.

The .30 caliber 168 and 175 on deer, all dead.

As Darryl stated, they are not dangerous game bullets but are very good for non-dangerous game.

Dave

Kirk Kelso told me he used a Matchking on his grizzly at 200 plus yards in open mountain country. Very dead bear.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Len

I recall that thread now.

I guess it's a matter of what we're comfortable with, I don't hunt bears very often and don't have the exposure to the critters. If they were a fairly routine item I'd probably use the MatchKings on them too but I'm not too comfortable with my ability to control the situation well enough to feel like trying the MatchKings on bears (yet).

I guess this is maybe how other folks feel about using MatchKings on deer and other deer-like animals... Perhaps not enough exposure to the animals and no confidence in the ability to kill with a non-premium "hunting" bullet.

(I know I can walk away from a less than adequate setup on a deer and try again later... on a bear I don't know if MY walking away will satisfy the bear that the encounter has ended
wink.gif
. I need more time hunting bears I guess, seems like a good justification!!)

I TOO WAS WORRIED ABOUT USING THEM ON DEER.BUT AFTER BEING HERE AND FINDING OUT THE PERFORMANCE PEOPLE WHERE GETTING,I THOUGHT TO GIVE IT A TRY.AFTER ONE DEER AT 112 AND THREE AT 402 YARDS I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE.ALL SHOWED EXELLENT EXPANSION,THE ONE AT 112YDS. HAD A 5IN. EXIT HOLE SHOT WAS TIGHT BEHIND THE SHOULDER.THE THREE AT 402YDS. WAS MORE OF THE SAME,4.5-5.5IN.EXIT HOLES.

I'm sure the MK is leathal on grizz but have tuff bullets ready. No doubt a double lung shot would leave an exellent blood trail and the farther away, to a point, would be easyer on the bullet and guarantee more penitration end exit. If the bear was on flat, barren ground and couldn't ambush us after a bad shot on retreival, I wouldn't hesitate.

Here's the story of what happened south of King Salmon AK. when my neighbor Bob and my brother Derrick took Bobs 10' brown bear.

My brother was on a hill about 3/4 mile away as he watched Bob stalk this bear. At 80yds Bob put a 300gn Nosler through both front legs just below the shoulder as it stood broadside. The bear fell, then got up and ran right at him. Another shot in the chest put him down again, but right back up and charging he came, another shot and he fell. Bob was empty, as he fed the chamber at first with one of the 3 in the mag instead of dropping one in to leave the three under the bolt.

Bob had three more rounds in his pocket wich he loaded and fired one at a time as the bear got up and continued at him after falling with each shot. With the last shot my brother said "Bob got on his knee and waited for the bear to get 20 feet away and shot him under the chin in the vertebra and he died there." Later my brother asked him why he got down and waited for him to run the last 20yds. Bob said "I only had one round left and I was lunch so it had to kill him then." He also said if he had loaded the mag up before firing again he would have been killed before he got off another shot. 7 rounds and everything internal was destroyed including both front legs. They had to cut him in half to roll him over because the front legs were jelly and had no leverage with them.

Here's a pic of the latest bear taken with 338wm and a 250X bullet 75' shot twice, once through the nostral out the jaw and through the right side chest and lung by Brian and another a double lung by my brother Derrick wich dropped him for good. 9'3" sq. up Knik River area. Derrick and Meadow his girlfriend.
View

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Brent ]

I came close this year, one was feeding on a carcass down in the swamp below when I was 1000' up the mountain. The wind was blowing about 10mph so I passed on the shot, no I'm just kiddin. We went down and around to the other side, where a trail comes into the swamp 50yds away from the carcass. It was getting near dark when we got there and wasn't able to see him but he was still there making plenty of noise about 50yds off and then 10yds into the alders.

I would have went in on him but my 9yr old daughter was with me so we headed back to camp. She insisted on a BIG fire that night. We were camped on the hill about 700yds off. We never seen him again but thats usually the case. His tracks were everywhere we went though and about 2" larger than my size 11 boot.

When we left we followed his tracks for ten miles down the sand bar to Jim Creek where he went to feed on salmon one night. His tracks went about 8 miles back up again. So far I've only come close, but some day I'll get a chance at another grizz. I still out number him in moose but he out numbers me in EVERTHING else.

My brother just snared a 7'8" black wolf near a den he found 5 wolves to be using last weekend.

I tried a-max this year for the first time on deer. Very nice bullet seemed to expand nicely. 178 grn on whitetail. MK on smaller criters like ground hog, and coyotes work great. I have not tried them on larger animals yet. I plan to though.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Steve in Mi ]

Let me draw the conclusion from Brent's charging bear story, that he skillfully left for the reader to draw.

The shooter was using a 300 gr. Nosler, he does not say partition but that is all Nosler makes in 300 gr. This is a bullet that has made it's reputation for reliability and not failing on tough critters. He still had to shoot the bear 7 times before it stopped. The last one he had to make sure that he hit the spine and get a central nervous system stoppage. This he did at 20 ft.,...THAT'S 20 FT.

Sometimes all the organ and tissue damage in the world will not stop quickly an adrenaline charged animal. We can speak of double lung shots, broken shoulders, and exit wounds, and they all have their merit, but if you EVER think you might find yourself in the above situation, MAKE SURE you have something reliable and that will penetrate in the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.