MatchKings ~ Accurate?

I have a 260 mountain rifle and it has shot .5 a couple of times with factory loads. but, nothing consistant. Its like BH said you are waisting your time trying to get this rifle to punch holes at 100 yrds muchless at 300 yrds. The comment about the little girl remember she is only 10 or 11 and how old did you say you were when you kill one that far let us know untill then just ask good grown up commen sense questions and listen for replys that will help you understand how to do what she did and aslo help you understand how small your capabilities really are. And remmeber one thing it is better to be thouht a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
shocked.gif

Wow, you guys really get heated up quick!
shocked.gif
Man, I just came here because I was trying to get these MatchKings I had to shoot, so I came to the source of MK knowledge.

When I said it takes alot of the human element, what I meant is from the video I watched, it looked to me like a novice shooter can do it (at least to 750 yards) with the proper equipment. I realize you want to eliminate the human element in LR hunting, to gain accuracy.

338-378,

Yeah, I'd get a kick out of an H&R SS that weighs 6 lbs shooting out to 500y. That would be quite a feat. Are you doing this? If so, give me the details, I'd like to hear more. You don't have to be "killin ****" with it, just paper would be fine for me.

BountyHunter,

Last summer I was shooting 120 gr. Nosler BT's over H4831sc. My groups were consistently under 1" for 5 shots, my smallest being .61" for 5 shots. That was with my old laminate stock that was not glass bedded and had the pressure point. My new fiberglass stock is bedded and F/F, and seems to be more consistent.

Yes, I hunt deer with this rifle. Only got it last year, and took a mulie and a whitetail with it, 140 gr. Nosler Partitions. Worked great. But why can't I strive for .5" groups?
confused.gif
Why can't I shoot it at 1000 yards? Maybe my current scope setup won't give me enough elevation for 1000y, but why couldn't I shoot it that far? I was thinking of buying some 123 gr. Lapuas to try at 500 yards. I won't set any records, but I'll have fun trying.
wink.gif

Leupold Man,

Why am I wasting time shooting handloads through my rifle? I don't get it? Why is everybody telling me to stop shooting, just 'cause I don't have a BR rifle. Anyways, how old was I when I killed a deer at 750 yards? Hmmmmmm, haven't shot at one that far. I did get one last year at 150 yards, my furthest to date. I thought I was asking a good question when I first asked about the 120 gr. MK's. I appreciate all the relpys, they helped alot.

Lastly, about my "small" capabilities with my flyweight 260. How far should I really be shooting this thing with match bullets?

Todbartell

Nothing saying you cannot strive for .5 inch. Just like saying nothing wrong with someone taking a stock Mach truck and try to break the land speed record with it. You can spend a lot of money and time and in the end it probably will not happen. I am saying you have a very good 300-500 yard rifle 98% of the time. With the thin mountain rifle stock and pencil thin barrel, it is not likely to make a good LR gun. It will shoot 1000 yards, a 22 LR will, but the key question is will it do it with an expectation of hitting what you are aiming at. Does it have the right twist to shoot the high BC bullets that are required to shoot LR with any degree of expection?

You have already taken the steps to make it more "consistent" which is what you want in any gun. If you have a load that has given you .61 and sub MOA all the time, I would say you are there, particulariy if 1st rd is on target, match bullets or not. Match bullets are not going to overcome a factory pencil thin barrel no matter how many loads you try. Nothing wrong with trying, but lot of money and time with minimal expectation of achieving goal.

As for the LR hunting, the others are right, the "art" is in the prep that goes in before the hunt. At that stage a knowledgable LR hunter can give the gun to anyone and have them make the shot most of the time after he has figured drop and windage and set the scope up unless they jerk the trigge or something.

Good luck and have fun.

BH

todbartell,
Don't be surprised if your rifle just don't like SMK's I have a REM BDL SS that hates SMK's but will shoot a Nosler BT under .5 .
With my Win. Coyote it is just the opposite.
Don't know why? That's the way it is I guess.
Now I didn't spend volumes of time tryin to work with these rifles so maybe they will shoot other bullets.
Yes, the little H&R single shots will kill stuff at 500+ yrds. Yes, we have done this and yes it is on video. But , we wouldn't want to use that in a production nobody would believe it.
Keep working with your rifle I'm sure you will figure somethin out. Don't expect BR accuracy but the rifle should shoot at least 3/4" at 100 and that is plenty good enough to hit some paper at 500. Oh yeah tod did ya try an AMAX? That is the bullet I'd be spendin my time on.

BountyHunter,

I realize my mtn. rifle isn't an ideal LR gun. But I will still have fun playing with it at longer distances, which for me, is 300+ yards. It has a 1-9" twist, which may be iffy with the VLD 140 gr. class bullets.

338-378,

That is pretty cool that you guys are shooting the H&R rifles at 500 yards. Must turn some heads.
smile.gif
I've shot the 162 gr. A-Max in my 7mm Rem Mag, but haven't tried the 140 gr. 6.5mm. I'm a little unsure if it will stabilize in my 1-9" twist. I had 140 gr. X bullet tumble, until I got the speeds above 2600 fps, then they shot great. That X is one long bullet.

TB

Tod
it is fine to play and plink and even hunt with the rifle all I am saying is don't try to get oil out off a water spout if you want small groups take the money that you are using on this and use it on getting somthing that will. I/we are just trying to help you not waist alot of time and money in something that in the end will not be what you are shooting for. There is no way to be consistant with this rig only toatal fustration because, One day you will shoot a .5 and the next day it will be .75 and the next it will be what ever all the time shooting the same load and then one day you will get a .5 again and the process goes on.Again nothing wrong with trying but it will cost a lot of money and time and cause alot of anger or fustration and then you will be here again in a few months wondering what to next when we told you from the start what to do and you thought we were being ugly hot and hard. I have been right where you are.

And as far as the other it ain't as easy as Butch makes it out to be by running up there and turnning the turrets when they miss. It is a lot of alot of things that make you and me think that,but it is all about the man that has done alot of what me and you have only watched a little of.
Have fun and remember that you don' t have a oil well just a good 300to500 yrd deep well so drink up.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.