Matchking Mania

Varmint Hunter

Now that Darryl has the ENTIRE shooting world convinced of the effective application of Matchking bullets on big game, I have a question.
I am shooting a Sierra 80gr Matchking at >3,600 ft/sec from my 22-243AI. Rich M. from Sierra told me that this would not be a good bullet for shooting varmints because it has a heavy jacket and might drill through vermin like a pencil.
Any idea how this bullet would react if I used it for taking whitetails????
shocked.gif

OK, here we go again Varmint hunter with
more info on actual fire results using the Match Kings

Every year many (about 35 or 40) of my longrange friends and I have a shoot out at a farm in Central PA. I believe there has been one or two of the posters here at one of these shoot outs.
We have targets out to a mile and beyond.
They start at 500, 750 1000, 1100, 1450 yards and a mile. We have bowling pins and bowling balls hung on chains out at 750, 1000 and 1450 yards. Water jugs at 1450 Yards and deer cutouts made of metal hanging on chains.

One year 13 of us took turns trying to shoot a 5" hardwood bowling pin at 1000 yards.

There was a steel plate right beside the bowling pin. Every shooter shot two shots, one at the plate for your sighter and one at the pin wich was hanging about 3' to the left of the plate. After every person had a turn to hit the pin with the above procedure we went to both shots right at the pin.
I was using my 22/284 30" long 8 twist barrel and 80 Grain Sierra MKs. I was the 12th shooter and the only one that was able to hit the pin. As a Matter of fact I hit it with BOTH shots.
I wanted to see what the bullet did to that 5" hardwood pin so the owner of the farm and I went over to look.
Both shots hit within 2" of each other on the fat part of the pin. The back side of the pin had two exit holes the size of silver dollars.
My comment at the time was, there's your 1000 yard deer gun.

One or two of those fellows there that day now have the 22/284 , use the 80 gr MK and kill their deer VERY dead every year since that. Most at 500 to 800 Yards.

The answer is YES to your question----The 224--80 Gr Sierra MK in an 8 twist barrel 30" long will kill whitetail deer VERY dead at ranges you can't imagine till you see it.
As most of you know It really don't take much to kill a whitetail. Point and fact is, the 80 MK will do it out of a 22/284 or 22/243.

Many whitetail deer are killed with the standard 220 Swift using the 60 to 63 gr bullets every year in PA.

I could run the 80 Gr as fast or faster then you are out of your 22/243 but, my accuracy is at 3450 to 3500FPS with the 80 Gr. That's the speed I was running it that day.

There were 30 or 40 witnesses that saw this happen.

I do believe Rich is correct in his statement about the MK jackets and the Varmints.

Long live the Matchkings
Darryl Cassel

PS---I'm not really trying to convince the world of the effectivness of the Match King bullet on game the size of deer and elk. I am honestly just stating what I have seen and done with them over the years. If someone wants to use them fine, if they don't that's fine too.
I will use them till the MK machines break at Sierra---Heaven forbid. Did you hear that Rich??????????

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl,
Somehow I knew you would have the answer to my question. It would appear that the 80gr .224" bullet would have adequate weight, SD and construction to get the job done but I hadn't tried it. Never even thought about it till recently.
Just in case you didn't realize; the "ENTIRE shooting world" was said in good fun, considering the last 500+ posts on the subject. Sometime a little humor gets lost in the cyberspace
wink.gif
wink.gif

Thanks for the info.
I'll stop by and see you at the World Open.
Charlie

Hello Charlie

I didn't put varmint Hunter and Charlie together till I saw New York as your home area.
By all means stop by at the World Open. Bring your rifle and shoot. Several years ago a fellow won the match with a 22/243.

I knew the "Whole World" senario was in fun because of the other forum and the many comments on MK bullets.
I still can't believe someone would make a comment,especially in a negative sense, without EVER trying them.
How could they possibly know what the bullet would do??? Maybe they are still driving Model "T" Fords too?
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hope to see you at the World Open.

Later and Long live the Match Kings
Darryl Cassel

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.