matching the performance of factory weatherby ammo

skeeterboud

after researching load data from the speers/hornady/nosler reloading books, it's seems you won't be able to duplicate the velocity/energy that weatherby factory ammo is loaded to. i've been reloading for my 7mmrm and 22-250 w/great success, but haven't started to for my 257/270/300 weatherby mags. it seems reloading and staying in the load ranges/grains would only result in decreased costs per round and decreased energy/velocity. don't need to reload for these weatherby calibers, as i'm completely content w/the factory ammo. all 3 shoot extremely well, to my standards, anyway. reloading for that particular 7mmrm was out of necessity, as grouping was terrible at 100yds(1.5-2.25") w/all factory ammo tried, and now .5-.75" w/handloaded 140 accubonds, at 3138fps avg. long question short, can the extreme velocity/energy coupled with great accuracy that weatherby ammo provides be matched safely? Merry Christmas to all!

So you are trying to get 7wby velocity out of a 7 rem mag, is that right? And do it safely and accurately?

no, perhaps i've confused everyone. i want to replicate/duplicate the 257 weatherby 100 hornady sp factory loads. based on the velocities given for particular loads in the hand loading books i referenced, they are not as fast as production ammo. is it likely that i can match those velocities with the exact same bullet?

With the right powder,yes. With my 1/4" accumark I have matched and exceeded the factory velocities (not by much)with much better accuracy. With a shorter barrel in the vanguard maybe not.

I have noticed the same thing. The books don't show max velocities as high as Wby factory ammo. I'd guess that its pressure, the books are stopping before Wby is. QL shows you can get there but the pressure is higher. I've read that they use alot of MRP and RL22 in the factory 257-300 rounds.

Chrono some factory loads too so you end up comparing apples to apples.

72.5 grains Re 22
100 grain bullets seted to 3.333 ( prefer ttsx)
215 primer ( or cci bench rest if you see pressure)

This will yield 3775-3800 fps and put a smile on your face every time you pull the trigger. Work up to this of course.

I get real good results with 68g H1000, 115g Berger hunting VLD. It puts me right at 3240fps with no pressure signs. I can ring out another 50-60fps but it shoots sub 1/2"MOA, most of the time better, and does it at all temps I hunt or shoot in. The very few factory loads we have tested fall 150-200fps off advertised speeds. I used to use RL-22, it would give great results in summer temps but would be unpredictable in cold temps.

a lot of the rated velocities of weatherby ammo is hyped up, butthe 87 and 100grn Hornady loads aren't, sometimes they are faster than listed. I have or have had all three weatherby cartridges that you speak of and in a 26" or longer barrel you can out run and out group weatherby ammo but brass life is 3 to 4 firings. I used to shoot the 100 grain Hornady right at 3900fps with RE25 and thats a mean load on a hundred pound whitetail!

a lot of the rated velocities of weatherby ammo is hyped up, butthe 87 and 100grn Hornady loads aren't, sometimes they are faster than listed. I have or have had all three weatherby cartridges that you speak of and in a 26" or longer barrel you can out run and out group weatherby ammo but brass life is 3 to 4 firings. I used to shoot the 100 grain Hornady right at 3900fps with RE25 and thats a mean load on a hundred pound whitetail!

Case life has never been a problem for me. I usually get 15-20 or more reloads from each case. I have a buddy that was a manager in load development for hornady for many years. I would caution about pushing a 100g to 3900fps. He would start blowing primers over 3750 and rupturing cases over 3800 in lab controlled barrels.

Hell your right, i'd simply caution anyone about using hornady brass! With RE25 I'm only .5grns over max to get that velocity. In all but one batch of 6.5x284 brass, Hornady brass has proved to be extremely soft, needs way to much prep, and is simply GARBAGE!

Are you getting the 3900 speeds out of a .257 weatherby? Those speeds are 3-400fps over any loading manual for 100g.

Re 22 at 72.5 gr and 100 gr bullets will get you right at 3800 out of a 26" tube. Worked up loads in 3 Remington 257 Roy's and all of them shoots this load around 1/2". One of he guns had a sticky bolt so I replaced the 215 primers with cci benchrest and no more problems and groups stayed the same but velocity dropped 30 fps.

Yeah 75.5grns RE25, rem 700 lss mountain rifle in 257 roy, the previous posters load of 72.5grns of RE22 is hotter than what I load, I'm not even flattening primers, and could get 7 or 8 loads if I tighten the pockets. Published data does wants to make the 25-06 look more impressive than it is when compared to the wby.

any of yall running h1000 in your 257wbys? i just ordered a reloader for christmas and everything to load for my 257. i have been having a friend load my 7mm and we are at 73.5gr h1000 pushing 150gr ttsx. i ordered some 110gr accubonds for the 257 and i am just curious where i might start with the h1000 in it.

about the wby factory loads vs hornady. when i got this rifle the only thing the local shop had for it was some of the round nose 117gr so i zero'd it with those advertised at 3450fps. after shooting that box up i switched to 110gr interbonds from hornady custom advertised at 3330fps. i had to bring my zero down 4 moa at 100y with the hornadys.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts