Match vs Regular Primers?

born2kill

Whats the main difference here? I'm having a hard time finding match primers in my area and there is regular primers. I wanted to know the major difference between something like Federal 210M and 210. If i were to load with 210M and if i ran out used 210 would there be a big difference. What about with consistency when using a match primer vs regular?

Born, the match primer is supposed to be more consistent. Different brands are a little hotter than others and some aren't as reliable. Many differ in opinion of brand A over B and some times as you stated the match are hard to find. I've had good consistently with 215M, but the Remington 9 1/2 perform better in one of my loads. There is info here on the search on primers, check it out. Good luck

I found no difference in match primers. In fact the way I look at match primers is it give me another chance to improve my groups once a load is worked up. Sometimes they produce the best groups and sometimes they don't.

A buddy who is a BR shooter told me that the federal match primers are made by the more experienced guys and theoretically they are more consistent because of it. Supposedly made on the same machines. I haven't personally noticed a difference in match primers.

Aaron

Not sure about Federal, but CCI's have a thicker cup which comes in handy for hot loads in Remington .378 bolt face that's not bushed.

With CCI the match primers have a bit different specs than the regular primers, thicker cups and maybe different compound.

With federals there's no difference in specification between the 210/210m and 215/215M. The match primers supposedly have the compound wiped by their more experienced primer makers and go through an extra QC inspection which theoretically should mean they're more consistent. They're otherwise identical and can be interchanged at will without worrying about working up a new load.

Using my 308's, 6.5x284's, 260Rem, and 300WM, all bench tested for accuracy, and measured for velocity and ES, After a lot of testing I have seen ABSOLUTELY no difference between Federal Match and Standard primers. My standards for performance depending on the rifles use are from sub.25-.5MOA accuracy, and velocity/ES under 12FPS. I use Large rifle primers in my 308,s, 260. Magnum primers in my 300WM. Both in my 6.5x284's. In my 6.5x284's I can replicate results by changing charge volume against using a LR or Magnum primer. All this testing was induced by the primer(and brass, powder) shortages that we have had over the past few years.:rolleyes:

I've been told, but not proven (at least with Federals) that the primers are actually the same compound, the "Match" are just more consistent. I've heard both that the more experienced people make the match primers. I've also seen/heard that the match primers are selected from the middle of a production run when things should be running most consistently. Not sure how much truth there is to either of those, but a lot of people seem to have very good luck with both "standard" and "match".

Yup, like a lot of internet experts he says match primers are more consistent. But gives us zero data to back up his statement.

To be honest I've never seen Federal provide any information either.

I know what my conclusion is. But its a mute point as I can't find 210M or 215M primers anywhere anyway.

Check out at the 1:10 mark ...

Yup, like a lot of internet experts he says match primers are more consistent. But gives us zero data to back up his statement.

To be honest I've never seen Federal provide any information either.

I know what my conclusion is. But its a mute point as I can't find 210M or 215M primers anywhere anyway.

The internet is the preferred medium to flow the available information whether we like it or not, like we are all doing here at the moment and it's entirely up to the individuals to sort the validity of the information for what it is worth; what an individual does with it is their responsibility.

Can I tell the difference or have the means or time to test it, NO, will I pay the extra cost, YES ... but that's just me and it's an individual choice I made. :rolleyes:

Here's more info for others to decipher for themselves >>>

The Rifleman's Journal: Primers - Large Rifle Primer Study

Primers | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

BTW, I do have 210Ms and 215Ms but I prefer the BR2s and CCI250s at this time. :D

Cheers!