match kings,A-max ,Palma match for game??

Jonathan

I am intrested in your theory on this I know that thay are inherently more accurete than
other so caled game bullets but even the manufactures do not recemened hunting aplications ...Why.....what should I look for in a hunting bullet for my .300win other
than accuracy?? thank you

I am trying the 162 grain A-Max this year for deer in a pair of 7mm's at 3200 and 3450 fps muzzle velocity. I plan for the terminal velocity to be somewhere between 1700 and 3000 fps. I will not shoot at the higher velocity unless it is a broadside, double-lung shot.

I have shot several deer With 180 gr Match kings and had very good results with them would be afaid to use them again.

I finaly broke down and used the .270cal 135 MK on a broad side shot last year. Before that I was afraid to take anything but head/neck shots. My fears were washed away when I saw the damage done to the animal. It preformed perfectly and left a gaping 2" exir hole. The Muzzle velocity was 3185fps and range was 165 lasered yds.

Attention Len Backus!!!!!!

I was advised against using a-max's on ANY big game as they are supposed to be just another word for a vamint bullet!!! The explode on impact without penetration !!! I have been told this by numerous people.

Last yr I loaded a friend some 178 a max for his 30-06. He had liked the looks of the plastic tip bullet (hadnt seen them before) so I loaded him about 10 rounds. I DIDN'T THINK HE'D HUNT WITH THEM. But the first few shot a great group and he saved the last 5 for Wis deer hunting. He shot two deer broadside behind the shoulder. Neither bullet exited but both deer expired real quick with badly damaged internals. For good old whitetail I think a 178 grainer
on a lung type shot is probably ok. I told him just not to take those tough angles on and I think he will respect that. I certainly wouldn't recomend them for anything tougher than a good old whitetail though after this experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts