Match King Kills - Pictures please

Hi Halfbreed,

The nice thing about a single shot action, and I think most guys will agree is, you really have to think that first shot. In other words you know you only have that one bullet, so your going to range, and think target, squeeze and recoil. Knowing that your one shot has to be there, it's where all your work comes together.

Best of luck, Vern

Guys, thanks for all the encouragment. What I was getting at about the single shot is this, I have a Savage 116 300 rum. when I shoot this one out, I would like to rebarrel either for the 338 Lapua, or the 338 rum. I "understand" the Lapua with the 300 smk will be able to load down into the magazine with the heel of the MK level with the neck shoulder. The RUM will not load down into the magazine without taking up too much powder space.
HOPEFULLY this information I am going on is correct. If so, this is what I am talking about with the single shot vs. repeater.
M14Dan, How long was the shot on the moose. I have often wondered about a m1a, I know alot of moose hunters in Maine use the 308. But that is usually a short range hunt.
As you guys have noticed I ned to work on a budget, but am still trying to get the job done.

thanks,
John

Vern...if you thought the thread on BR central was heated then you missed the action on HA and AR. The guys on BR were much more civilized and just passed along manufacturers recommendation more than anything.

The guys elsewhere were 10X worse and most times resorted to name-calling and of course swearing impossibility.

Chech here for probably the "best" example.
HA

Later,
JB

MORE PICS!!!

Apologies; I am new to the site and, therefore, the Sierra Matchking 'issue' (....revealing further ignorance.... I assume the SMK is a BTHP?).

The use of a 'target' bullet on game would never have occurred to me.

Would someone be kind enough to spell the 'issue' out to me? Are they thought to expand too fast or too slow?

What other 'target' bullets are people using successfully on game (particularly in 300 Win Mag)?

[ 09-29-2003: Message edited by: Mat ]

OMG JB,
Your right that was really alot worse. I didn't know whether to dislike them or feel sorry for them. I must say with small minded veiws like that, they should be running for office somewhere.

To me when things start getting impossible, it's because I have stopped trying. I hope most hunters don't think like those on the websites, if so it won't long before none of us can hunt or have weapons to do the things we take pleasure in doing now.

Later my friend, Vern

Just my two cents: I think we put too much on the bullet and not enough on shot placement. The greatest bullet in the world will not do the job if it is not placed in the right spot. Put a rock through both lungs at any distance and the deer will go down. But if I had a choice of match bullets for hunting I would pick the A-max. Not because the SMK's would not work but because I have history with the A-max.

If it aint broke don't fix it!!

H-bar can kill a deer at 1000yds with a tooth-pick.

Mat...

yes the SMK is a BTHP as well as the berger and JLK and every other custom LR bullet (that is worth a darn)

The LR hunters have been using the SMK for a long time--Hopefully Darryl cassel chimes in here. Also barrelmaker Dan Lilja has good info on his site www.riflebarrels.com i think.

conventional hunting bullets would not work reliably at the extended ranges that they are used on here because the velocity is out of their effective range. The SMK's though seem to work all the time at these extended ranges.

The bitch of most people is that these bullets are for paper only because sierra says so--even though evidence has proven otherwise among many LR hunters. the doubters sware the bullets wont work reliably on game(not necessarily too fast or slow expansion) having never used them for themselves.

the hornady a-max is the other good match hunting bullet.

Im sure if you email DC he can give you the lowdown or just search huntamerica.com and accuratereloading for match king or long range etc..

HIH

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts